43 A Trip to the Store

The wild Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur possessed expressions twisted with uncertainty and doubt. Several bowls of Pokémon food surrounded them, all prepared by yours truly. It took little effort making their food thanks to all my experience cooking for Paul's Venusaur. I only needed to triple the ingredients in the Bulba-Ivy-Venu recipe, but I still had to make a triple-batch just as fast as a single-batch. Nothing I couldn't handle.

The act of cooking itself came to me as an opportunity to improve my efficiency.

Convincing our Grass-type guests to eat my cooking proved to be the more difficult task.

"Come on, you guys. It's full of yummy stuff all Grass-types like. One bite and you'll totally love it." I felt like I had spoken while the mic was off.

"What's going on?" said a curious Paul, approaching us with a sleepy yawn.

"They don't want to try the breakfast I made for them."

One of the wild Bulbasaur seemed slightly interested, but an Ivysaur held it back.

"It's the same recipe I use for your Venusaur, so I know they'll love it." I scratched my head. "We just have to find a way to prove that."

Paul's Venusaur trotted up to me with a suggestion, and a hungry tummy.

"Yes, that's a great idea, Venusaur! Could you please? Here. This one's yours."

With a smile, Venusaur started on his portion of the meal. He easily demonstrated to the others how delicious—and not poisonous—my food tasted. Now content and comfortable, they started chowing down.

Just as I predicted, they all loved it!

All the Pokémon enjoyed a yummy, healthy breakfast that morning.

"I can't believe you cooked all of that already." Paul gazed around the camp, still looking a little sleepy. "I didn't even hear you get up."

"Not surprised. You were snoring louder than Gyarados." While ignoring his heated words of denial, I retrieved two wrapped parcels from the table. "I couldn't sleep, though. I was too excited to make today's breakfast."

As though on cue, Paul's stomach grumbled. "I hope you made ours, too."

I laughed and shoved one parcel into his hands.

"Just this?"

"No manners as usual. You know, it'd help if you opened it before criticizing it."

After tearing apart the wrappings, he discovered two mini loaves of bread. "What is it?"

"Egg bread."

"Egg what?"

"Egg bread. Basically a pastry with a whole egg inside that gets cooked at the same time as when the bread bakes. There's some cheese inside, too. It's a popular street snack that's good to eat as it gets colder, which it is."

"That's certainly true," he grimaced, rubbing his arms after getting the chills. Just then, he suddenly noticed...I have my jacket on? When did she... How did she—?! His train of thought got interrupted by a Flamethrower nearly incinerating him.

"Hey, don't space out right in front of the campfire, Paul. And thanks, Vulpix!"

She smiled before returning to her food.

Brought back to life, the campfire provided some heat for myself and a pot of water. I sat on a blanket while waiting for it to boil, which wouldn't take very long. Not with Vulpix's high temperatures.