50 Good Night Pokémon

While Pyro started dinner, Rainer showed us to the spare room we'd be using for the night. It looked spacious and cozy. A glass door led out to a small patio. A sofa and TV sat at one side of the room; on the other, another door. It connected to the bathroom.

And beside that was a bed.

Just...

...one...

...bed.

"When they said we'd be sharing," I muttered, swallowing back the lump in my throat while the temperature of my cheeks shot through the roof. "I didn't think they meant sharing the bed, too."

A little embarrassed himself, Paul scratched at his head. "Well, it's not so bad. I think the space on Torterra's back is smaller than this. So, in other words..."

"In other words?"

"We're kind of used to sleeping that close."

A weight slammed into the pit of my stomach. My eyes bulged out of my head, blinking as fast as the wings of Beedrill. Palms: sweaty. Jaw: dropped. Face, ears, and neck: impossibly hot, as though a volcano had erupted inside my head.

My panicked thoughts made me feel dizzy.

Used to it? Used to it?! He thinks we're used to it?! That's just stupid! What does he think we're used to in the first place? What does... What? My brain felt like nothing but a pile of scrambled eggs. Is he actually just a huge creep?! What if—

"Rosa?"

"Waaaahh!" I snapped out of my own thoughts.

"You okay? You spaced out again—?"

The bottom of my shoe flew into his side. "Don't think anything weird, Paul!"

"I wasn't, I wasn't. Calm down!"

"Sharing your Torterra's back is one thing! It's just camping, and we have separate sleeping bags, don't we? But sharing a bed is out of the question!! Besides," I shot a glance at the lone sofa in the room, "that couch doesn't look totally uncomfortable. Or, even, I wouldn't mind using a futon out on the porch.

"But, no sharing." My hands hid my burning cheeks while I shook my head back and forth. "Nope. No way. Absolutely not."

Why do I feel so weird?

Paul folded his arms. "Guess you have a point."

During my frantic head shaking, I noticed a lack of Pokémon in the room. I only saw Vaporeon, who frowned at her two little boys using the bed as a trampoline. She hoped they wouldn't fall off and, well, you know.

"Hey. Where'd all the Pokémon go?"

Paul's hands moved to his hips. "Didn't notice them leave, did you? I asked them to go make sure Luxio and Eevee could find their way here since we're not in the same place as when they left."

"Oh, you did? Good call." Then, I focused on the bathroom door. "Well, since we have some free time, I'm gonna take a bath."

"Before dinner?"

"Yeah. I feel gross." My eyes narrowed dangerously. "Just don't try to enter."

"I already told you I'm not a creep. I'm gonna ask Rainer about borrowing a couple extra blankets. They're forecasting a temperature drop tonight, and this room will freeze." He looked over at Vaporeon. "You wanna stay here with Girlie? I don't want her to feel alone."

She hopped over to my side and nuzzled my leg.

"Don't want me to feel alone? What's that supposed to mean?"