14 Beauty and the Beach Part 2

Everyone helped clean up the restaurant after the short rush. Then, we all moped around inside, trying to find a solution to quickly fix the dangerous lack of business. I racked my brain for answers, but it produced absolutely nothing useful.

"I'm sorry, Ryu. Because of us, your hut's reputation has been ruined," apologized Paul.

"You don't need to apologize. You guys worked your hardest. I know that," consoled Ryu.

Coming up with nothing, I slammed my fist on the table and fumed: "But isn't it weird how we keep having accidents?"

"Well, when you consider the restaurant you're working for, it's no surprise," cackled a voice. A grumpy, wrinkly old lady had just entered the restaurant.

"Brutella?!" Ryu gasped, knocking down his chair as he shot up.

I recognized the two bodyguards at her side. "Jessie and James too," I scowled.

Brutella looked around Ryu's sorry excuse for a restaurant. She possessed a scratchy voice that sent shivers up and down my spine. "As always, this hut has no customers. It wouldn't be at all strange if it went bankrupt at some point."

"What was that?!" Paul snapped.

She ignored him, all her attention focused on her rival restaurateur. "I don't care if this dump does go bankrupt, but it would be troublesome if you couldn't pay back all the money I lent you."

"I... I know that," Ryu admitted.

"The deadline is tomorrow. If you don't pay up by then, I'll be taking your boat."

Suddenly, all the composure in his body left him. "Wait! Spare me the boat, at least!"

"No way! You can't change my mind!" Brutella then left the restaurant, cackling.

"What she says goes," James laughed.

"Too bad," Jessie grinned.

"Our apologies," Meowth said before they all followed after their boss.

"Those guys!" I cursed, understanding why Ash and the others hated them so much.

Ryu fell to his knees in despair. "The deadline is tomorrow. But we won't be able to earn enough money by the end of the day. I'll have to give that boat to Brutella, won't I?"

I sharply turned to him. "That boat's important to you, right, Ryu?"

"I'd been working forever and finally obtained it. It's my dream to travel around the world in that boat."

When his head drooped again, I raised my voice. "That's why you can't give up so easily!"

He seemed surprised by my passion. "Huh?"

"Don't throw away your dream just like that!" I gestured to my Pokémon. "Since I met these guys, I'm starting to feel like my dream to become the world's best Pokémon Trainer might come true. Ryu, your dream is on the verge of coming true too, right? It would be a waste to give that up."

"It's just as she says," Paul added. "You can't hand the boat over to Brutella."

I nodded. "We'll get the money somehow." All the Pokémon agreed with me.

The old man gazed at me. "Ms. Rosa..."

"Let's do our best, and we'll lend a hand however we can."

"Well, okay, but what should we do?"

I tapped my chin, thinking hard.

A different voice said to us, "There is a way to earn the money." We looked at the front entrance, where an old man walked inside. He wore a Hawaiian-style shirt and shorts. "It's been a while, Rosa."