3 A Night on the Town

By sunset, we made it to Viridian City. It felt much more alive than Pallet Town, lots of people and bright lights everywhere. I liked it, and so did Shinx. "This is pretty cool. A lot different than Sunyshore City.

"Now let's see. Any idea where the Pokémon Center might be?" Shinx pointed to the left of us, spotting a large red circle sitting atop a semi-dome building with stairs leading up to it. I saw a white P on the dome. "Good eye, buddy!" We raced there.

Stepping into the Pokémon Center lobby, we came upon a ton of trainers and their many different Pokémon. We were in awe. "Wow! It's so much bigger than Volt made it sound!"

I gazed around, getting myself accustomed to the relaxing atmosphere of a Pokémon Center. "He told me all about these. He said that Pokémon Centers are gathering places, where trainers use them to rest between activities, share information, make calls or send packages, and lots more. They always have a lobby like this with TVs so trainers can watch their favorite channels, and the front desk is run by a nurse who'll treat injured Pokémon. There's a cafeteria for eating and cooking, and plenty of rooms for the Pokémon Trainers to spend the night here."

Admiring the building, I stepped over to the front desk. "First thing's first, we should have someone heal you up. We can explore the town after, but I think it's too late to continue onto Viridian Forest. We can get a room for the night. I'm sure you wouldn't disagree with a nice warm bed." Shinx barked.

A lady with curly pink hair greeted us. "Hello there, and welcome to the Pokémon Center." She wore a pink and white nurse's outfit.

"Are you Nurse Joy?"

"Why, yes." She giggled a little. "You must be a new Trainer, going by your expression."

"I am. Can you heal my Pokémon, please?"

"I'd love to! Here." She placed a small tray on the counter. "Just place your Poké Balls onto this tray."

"Right. Shinx, you've got to go inside now."

Shinx didn't look too happy about that.

"I know you don't like it, but it'll just be for a bit while you get all healed up. I'll call you back out as soon as you're all done. I promise." He sighed and went inside, where I pushed the tray back to Nurse Joy. "Please take good care of him."

"We will. He should be back out within the hour." She handed the tray to a big pink Pokémon wearing a matching nurse's hat. It walked through some doors behind the counter.

I took my Pokédex out. "Chansey the Egg Pokémon. Chansey is a kind Pokémon who shares its egg with those who are sick or injured."

"So, that's a Chansey. It's pretty cute."

"Is that all you care about when it comes to Pokémon?"

Startled, I looked back to find a familiar head of purple hair. "Oh, Paul, it's you!"

"You can't get much more pathetic than calling every single Pokémon you meet cute."

"Who are you to say what I think about Pokémon?"

He ignored me and went up to the front desk. "May I have my Pokémon healed, please?" He went through the same process, setting his Poké Balls on a tray for Nurse Joy to hand back to a Chansey.

Forgetting his rude attitude, I became heavily interested in his new Pokémon, considering he had more than I did. "I see you've got some additions to your team. What'd you catch?"

"That's none of your business." He walked off.

"Hey!"

Paul grabbed a soda from a vending machine and sat down.