67 An Icy Retreat

The Pokémon enjoyed a scrumptious lunch that I sloppily threw together. While the team stuffed their faces, Paul and I prepared for a trip that would, hopefully, end with us inside the depths of Seafoam Caverns.

"Hey, Paul. Seel says it's really cold down there. These wetsuits are the insulated kind, right?"

"Top-quality insulation is what we were promised, but just in case, got your Fire-types rotated onto your team?"

"I just switched in Vulpix and Ponyta. With Charla, I'm golden."

"Good. Growlithe is ready to go, too."

"We should get you another Fire-type soon."

"Well, it's a good thing we're heading to a volcano after this, huh? Maybe I'll luck out."

I nodded. "No sweat there. I'd say you're pretty lucky."

"Think so?"

"Yep."

We smiled at each other.

Eevee walked over with her food bowl in her mouth, looked up, and demanded us stop flirting and give her some more food.

"We're not flirting!!"

"Absolutely not!!"

I took Eevee's bowl. "Seel also said there are sections of solid ground, where we'll be able to walk. That means you won't have to worry about swimming very much. If that's the case, do you think you'll wanna come along with us? Luxray?"

Luxray and Eevee briefly looked at each other before giving a synchronized head shake.

"Man, you two really don't like water, huh?"

"You can't be surprised," chuffed Paul. "It's fine. Alakazam can bring them back to the cabin before we head out. In the meantime, here."

A hefty orange bag shoved its way into my arms. Multiple zippered pockets adorned the outside as well as several loops designed for some kind of attachments. The shoulder straps were stretchy, soft, and covered in the same padding that layered the rest of the backpack.

"What's this?"

"A waterproof bag. I packed your jacket, some spare Dive Balls, and a flashlight inside. You should throw in your flippers and your Pokédex, too. Maybe a water bottle?"

"Uh, well, thank you. But did you pack one for yourself, too?"

He held up an identical brown bag.

"When did you even do this?"

"While you were making lunch. I can't cook to save my life, remember, but I still wanted to do something useful with my time. This way we can have some supplies if we do find the caves. You know I like to be prepared for anything."

"I'll say! Thanks, Paul!"

Seel waddled over and slumped over the tops of my bare feet, her food bowl licked clean.

"Is that a sign that you're full and ready to go home? Don't worry, Seel. We're leaving as soon as everyone's done eating. You'll be with your mama in no time."

The pup responded with a burp.

Seel's morning started with a short crawl around the ice caves where she lives, a daily exercise to get better at moving around. Her relaxing morning turned into a nightmare, however, when she got too close to the water, slipped, and fell in.

Not only did Seel fall into the water, she accidentally fell against a sleeping Pokémon. The Pokémon, not all too thrilled to be woken up that way, and rightly so, attacked the tiny creature.