2 A Pallet-able Meeting

A foghorn blew, and you couldn't get me out of bed faster. I jumped into my clothes, packed up, and raced out onto the main deck. The land spread out as far as the eye could see. "There it is, Shinx, the Kanto region! I don't know about you, but I'm psyched."

When the ship docked, we skipped off, unable to hold back our excitement. "Ok, it's time to go see Professor Oak!" I needed to know where to go, so I asked a woman near the front gate. "Excuse me, can you tell me how to get to Pallet Town from here?"

"Ah, you must be going to see Professor Oak. Well, you're in luck as it's only a short walk from here. All you have to do is follow that path." She pointed to a dirt trail heading away from the harbor. "You should be there in no time."

"Thank you, ma'am!" I sprinted away.

Within no time at all, we came across the open fields of Pallet Town. "WOW!" We stood on a hill overlooking the quiet town. It was mostly trees, grass, and dirt trails with a few houses in between. It looked tranquil and peaceful. "Nothing like the hustle and bustle of Sunyshore. I love it!"

On the far side of town, we saw a big hill covered in trees with a stone pathway going up the side. A house with a massive wind turbine sat on top watching over the town. "That's got to be Professor Oak's lab. Let's go!"

As we headed to the lab, we came upon a bit of a problem. Someone crashed into me. It felt like being hit by a train. I glared at the attacker: a boy my age with messy, black hair. He looked like he'd just rolled out of bed.

"Hey, watch where you're going, kid!" I growled at him.

"Sorry!" He quickly helped me onto my feet. "I'm kind of in a hurry, so bye. Nice meeting you!" He ran off, calling back to me, "I really am sorry!"

"Well, he was in a hurry. I wonder where he's going." Shinx jumped on my shoulder and barked.

Getting to the lab, an enormous crowd gathered at the base of the steps leading up the hill. My natural curiosity got the better of me, so we asked the closest person. "What's going on?" I asked a girl about my age.

"A new guy's starting his journey today. Oh, he's going to be such a strong Trainer, I know it. So cool and handsome! Look! There he is!" The girl's voice spiked in volume to match the screams of her crazed friends.

A young boy stood on a red convertible, addressing his fan club. "Thank you! Thank you to everyone who came to witness such an extraordinary event! It's a huge honor! I, Gary Oak, will promise to become a Pokémon Master and make Pallet Town known all around the world! Now with my new Pokémon," he spun a Poké Ball in his hand, "I am off to learn the ways of a Pokémon Trainer!" A group of cheerleaders sang a quick cheer before Gary got in his car and drove away.

The crowd chased after Gary, leaving me in the dust, literally. I coughed to clear my throat. "Who the heck was that?"

A voice replied, "Gary Oak. Don't ever trust anything he says. He's a lying sack of—"

Recognizing the person, my eyes popped out of my head. "Hey, you're that kid that ran into me!" There was no mistaking his spiky hair.

"Sorry, who?"

That didn't sit well with me. "Do you not remember the girl you so rudely crashed into a few minutes ago? I'd be more than happy to remind you!" I lunged at him.

"Wait! Wait!" He raised his arms in defense, forcing me to stop. "I do remember. Yeah, I do. I apologized for that already, didn't I? I'll repeat it to be sure! Sorry!"

I crossed my arms and huffed. "Apology not accepted."

"Well, that's all you're going to get. I don't have time to talk right now. I have to go see—"