40 A Sky Full of Stars

Rhyhorn's third attempt at Thunder Bolt hit our one and only bike, right in the center, and completely destroyed it! "The bike's extra crispy!" I shrieked, stunned by Rhyhorn's raw attack power.

Of course, Paul immediately scolded him. "You could've at least tried to avoid the bike!!"

Rhyhorn whimpered and began weeping crocodile tears.

My hand struck Paul upside the head. "Don't yell at my Pokémon, you ass!" I then scratched underneath Rhyhorn's chin. The Pokémon purred at the contact and kicked his back foot like a dog. "Sweet Rhyhorn, don't listen to a word he says. Accidents happen. A little walking never hurt anyone anyhow." Then, I shot a glare in Paul's direction. "I thought you didn't even like riding bikes?"

He pouted like a child. "Like it or not, it beats walking."

"Well, buy a bike in the next town."

"No, I really shouldn't. We can't afford it."

"Then, quit complaining! Now, Rhyhorn, what do you say we call it for your electric training? We shouldn't push too far. We'll work on your aim another time, but at least now you're able to produce a lightning bolt and launch it."

Rhyhorn agreed.

That gave Paul the chance to finally ask the one question on his mind:

"Hey, if you're done with Rhyhorn, how's about teaching the others?"

I stared at Paul, a bit shocked that he so bluntly asked for my help. "What? You mean Thunder Bolt?"

"Or any electric attack," he replied. "It'd be useful for them to know, no doubt. I don't have any Electric-types, but if I had Pokémon who could use electric attacks, we'd have better coverage. You think you could teach some of my Pokémon?"

"Well, I can, but without an ability like Lightning Rod, it'll be much harder."

"Why's that?"

"Because without that safeguard against the high voltage, they'll most likely shock themselves a few times during the learning process. That also leads to a slight risk of inducing paralysis."

"That's alright."

I shot him a look. "Why don't you ask the Pokémon if they're alright with that, too?"

"Fine." Paul turned to his—slightly smaller—collection of Pokémon. "Who wants to learn Electric-type attacks?"

Torterra felt indifferent, though he couldn't learn the move even if he wanted, and neither could any of the other Grass-types. Tauros and Primeape also couldn't care less. And it was a hard pass from Fearow, Dodrio, and all Water-types, with the sole exception of Gyarados. He seemed eager to add another deadly weapon to his collection of attacks.

"And Gyarados has already been hit by a Thunder Bolt, so he may actually have an easier time replicating that energy," I noted. When Gyarados glared at me, I quickly apologized for bringing up the incident that led to his capture.

Kadabra could learn how to use Shock Wave instead of Thunder Bolt, and he could do it fairly easily with his psychic abilities.

"What about any of the Eevee?" asked Paul. "At least one must be capable."

"Not unless they evolve into Jolteon."

"Huh?! Well, we have Thunder Stones, don't we?"

"Not we. Me, and I have a few. One is for Pikachu in case she ever changes her mind. The others are extras, but no way in hell am I giving you either of them so you can force anyone to evolve."