56 Brains vs Brawn: Best of Both Worlds

Paul and I received a quick dojo tour. The training room was also the common room, apparently, where the residents would relax and eat meals when not brawling with each other. A full kitchen sat on the side. A laundry room nested on the other. At least four bedrooms lined the hallway, with plenty of spare blankets, pillows, and space to accommodate two extra people.

After the tour, the others wanted to get on with the training right away.

"So, what exactly did you make us wear?"

Paul awkwardly tugged at his new outfit while Kyle struck the air beside him.

"It's the dojo uniform. Nice and loose. Good for striking and kicking."

Kyle and Terri gave Paul and me clothes to borrow while ours ran through the laundry.

"I thought we were Pokémon training," continued Paul. "Why are we in uniform?"

"See, a great way to learn alongside your Pokémon is to move alongside them. Be physically involved. As Fighting-type Pokémon Trainers, we often find ourselves mimicking the movements of our Pokémon to better understand their fighting style and their capabilities."

"Interesting." Beside him, Primeape bounced on the balls of his feet, pumped and ready to spar against the other tough Fighting-types in the room. "Are you ready for some close-combat training?"

"I sure am!" I cartwheeled over to them. Raichu attempted to mimic my movements, but instead, she rolled straight into the wall behind me! Luxray rushed over to help her out. "These uniforms are comfy. Thanks!"

"No prob. Glad you like them," replied Terri.

"I really like them." I found Paul locking me down with his eyes. "What?"

After a slight chuckle, he crossed his arms. "Not surprised you chose the yellow outfit."

"Says the one who picked purple! Now, Terri, who's that?" I gestured to the Pokémon clinging to her side: a small, light-purple creature with a brown lower torso and feet, and adorable eyes.

"This is Tyrogue." She pat his head. "He's a little shy, but he's a great fighter."

"That's the pre-evolution of Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, right?" Paul asked.

"Yep. There's a third evolution, too. It's called Hitmontop. Personally, I want Tyrogue to evolve into that one. It'll balance out the Pokémon we have here at the dojo, but I also really like the way Hitmontop moves."

Paul searched up both Pokémon:

"Tyrogue the Scuffle Pokémon, and Hitmontop the Handstand Pokémon. Hitmontop is an evolved form of Tyrogue. Tyrogue is always bursting with energy. To make itself stronger, it keeps on fighting even if it loses. Hitmontop spins like a top as it battles. The centrifugal force adds ten times the destructive power to its punches and kicks."

"Okay," called Sabrina as she and her Alakazam approached. "Ready to get started?"

"Yes, ma'am! How are we training?"

"My goal is for Alakazam to take on multiple opponents at once. If we take on that evil organization, there's no doubt we'll be outnumbered."

"How outnumbered do you want?" asked Paul.

"As many Pokémon as possible."

"Really?!"

"Taking down those crooks requires being outnumbered. If Alakazam and I can handle a bunch of you guys, then they should be a breeze." Sabrina and Alakazam retreated to the other end of the room. "So, let's get started already!"