54 The Bonds of Evolution

It all happened too fast. One minute Luxio stared at my face, his paw outstretched, ready to accept my apology. Then, both of us would get back to Paul and Eevee. We would dig a snow cave and wait out the storm, and be on our way to Saffron City in the morning. Simple and easy.

The next minute, those plans disappeared as quickly as I did.

Wait.

I was falling. Down.

No.

Falling somewhere far, far away, where he couldn't go.

Don't go.

Yellow eyes gleaming with horror, Luxio unleashed the loudest roar he had ever emitted in his life, along with a Shock Wave. The force of the lightning cracked the ice around him, spreading out in all directions and breaking up the ground. An explosion of sound came next: the distinctive thunderclap. It was a loud, booming burst of noise. It was an external demonstration of Luxio's outrage and desperation.

Luxio pleaded for all the power in the world to come together into one single moment.

As a result, a glowing light enveloped his entire body. With determined tears streaking his face, Luxio took his opportunity and leaped off the cliff, every cell in his body feeling his final transformation begin. His wish had been granted.

However, Luxio quickly discovered that he had gotten more than he wished for.

Something happened beyond evolution.

Just after he kicked off the ground, after spotting my arm reaching out towards him, a bright burst of energy occurred. This strange energy churned Luxio's white evolution aura into a rainbow of colors. He felt his body slowly change form into something more powerful than what he expected, growing far more powerful than he thought possible.

Luxio assumed that he had just tapped into some unknown source of power.

Regardless of the strange occurrence, it provided him the strength to save me.

The black and blue cat caught up to me in midair. After securing my jacket in his teeth, he flipped around and sank his claws into the cliffside, stopping our descent. Finally, he began to climb back up, one paw in front of the other.

Rather than climbing the whole way, however, the lingering aura spoke to him like a second voice in his head, signaling him of another way.

He noticed his four paws radiating a weak electrical pulse. These pulses bounced off the cliffside, forcing his paws away from the icy surface as though they had been magnetized. His paws hovered about an inch away from the ice, but he still seemed safe from falling. Thus, he used this new ability to scale the cliff quickly and pull me back onto flat ground.

The colorful light began to fade, and the cat's body shifted back into a less energized form. He gawked at his paws, in awe at what overcame him just now. Wait, didn't my paws look different a second ago?

He shook his head when remembering my unconscious body beside him.

I've gotta get us out of this storm!

As his tail swished back and forth in thought, he glanced at the cliffside across the way from him. He considered the option, and upon agreeing to it, he tensed his muscles. The fur on his back arched like a typical cat. His eyes glowed the same shade of blue as his signature electricity color.

The crackle and hiss of a fire stirred me awake. Regaining feeling in my fingers, I felt them brush against cold stone. My cheek felt it, too, while the rest of my face felt numb. My forehead throbbed.