28 Never a Rose Without a Prick

I found myself once again standing before the Celadon Gym. I spaced out on the walk there, so if anything happened during the stroll, I had no clue. My lips remained sealed the entire way. It was awkward and uncomfortable to be at Paul's side, even now.

"Here we are," I said apprehensively, staring up at the Vileplume-styled building and taking a deep breath.

"Hey."

My head turned.

Paul stared at me. "You don't have to do this if you don't want to." I could clearly see the guilt in his eyes.

I shook my head. "No. I gave my word that I'd come back here. You can't get your badge without me, right? Besides, I'm sure it won't take very long. You'll make quick work of Erika and her Grass-types, get your badge, and then I'll leave. Simple and easy, and will be done within less than an hour."

"Y...Yeah..." he admitted quietly.

Despite the uncertainty, I needed to retain a blank face so that Paul could focus solely on his battle. I psyched myself up by slapping my cheeks, and then marched towards the front doors, arms swinging at my sides. "So, come on, already!"

He hurried after me. "Just don't forget to keep your bag sealed."

Looking over my shoulder, I panicked when I saw the zipper open. "Ah! Pikachu, can you help?" She quickly moved to my head and, careful to avoid the sleeping Dratini's ears, closed the zipper. "Thanks."

"Rosa! You're back!"

The front doors opened with a whoosh. Erika skipped outside, hopped down the stairs, and trapped me in a bone-crushing hug.

"Hi, Erika." I rubbed her back. "Yeah, I'm back."

Erika slightly turned to acknowledge Paul. "Oh. You're back, too." Disgust oozed from her voice.

"Whatever," he scoffed, glaring daggers back at her. "A deal's a deal. I apologize to Rosa and bring her back here, and you give me a gym battle. I did my part. Now, accept my challenge already."

"Not so fast. I told you I'd ask to see if you gave a genuine apology."

He clicked his tongue.

"Genuine?" I repeated, lips parted in surprise.

Erika turned to me. "Well, did he actually apologize?"

Considering how to respond, I glanced back at Paul.

If I'm being honest, his apology skills need some work. Sure, his words might've been sincere, but the same could also be said about his words to me earlier. Can I trust that he's actually sorry? Does he deserve my trust? No, not anymore. It's extremely hard to trust him now. When I'm around him now, it feels like a knife is being driven into my heart. The thought of being anywhere near him is just too painful.

But, even still, I don't want Paul to lose his only chance at a Rainbow Badge. I can suck it up for just a little bit longer. Which means there's only one thing to do here. Only one thing to tell Erika.

Taking a breath, I forced a wide smile onto my face. "Yeah, he apologized. He feels pretty bad about everything and says he'll make it up to me somehow. But before that, his first priority is getting his next gym badge. So please, will you give him a gym battle now? I really want to see you two duke it out."

After a moment, Erika's expression softened. "Alright, but only because you asked me so nicely. Paul can have his battle."

"Yay! Thank you!"

"But," she continued, "don't think I'll make it easy for him."

Her tone made me anxious, but I nodded anyway. "I can't imagine he planned on that."