47 One Eevee, Two Eevee, Red Eevee, Blue Eevee

With a whoosh, my lure soared overhead and sunk into the river, the ensuing splash launching water droplets in all directions. "And now we wait. Let's see if we catch anything with this fancy new rod of mine, eh, Pika...chu?"

My little mouse disappeared from my side.

"Hey, where'd you go?"

She and Eevee played a game of tag on the river.

Mud caked their paws. Twigs caught in their fur. They sprinted across trees sticking out over the water, bounced along smooth rocks like bunnies, weaved in and out of the shadows of the trees; and most importantly, they scared the crap out of me as they neared the boulders breaking apart the water's surface and causing white water and foam.

That was where the slow-moving, perfect-for-fishing water turned into a deadly fast-moving current.

"Hey! Be careful, you two. That part of the river has a dangerous current that'll sweep you away in a..." My heart briefly stopped as Pikachu slipped on a rock, but Eevee caught her by the tail in the nick of time. "...heartbeat. Is this what parenting feels like?"

"Don't jinx it!"

Paul leaned back against the trunk of a massive oak tree, hands behind his head.

"And don't get too comfy here. We have to reach Stone Town by the end of the day."

"Oh, relax. Stone Town's just over that hill, which means we'll get there just in time for dinner. Now go back to sleep already, grandpa!"

"Oi! Who are you calling grandpa, Girlie?!"

"Stop taking twenty naps a day and I won't!"

"Hmph. Whatever." He closed his eyes and resumed his nap.

Shortly after the fishing contest ended yesterday, Paul and I worked our way off the beach and back into the forest. We took a difficult, winding path through the woods, battling some tough trainers along the way. We followed it for a full twenty-four hours.

Now, we were just a day away from the northern route leading to Saffron.

Our feet, and our Pokémon, needed a break; and I wanted to use my new fishing rod.

Paul wanted to nap, preferably somewhere not in the splash zone. He found the shadiest tree in the area, sat underneath it, and counted imaginary Mareep enough times to enter dreamland. Luxio joined him, along with Vulpix; and all members of the Eevee family frolicked in the grass.

Watching the water, I was overcome by a lack of tension and stress almost equating to a feeling of nothingness. Sunlight soaked into my skin, blinking on the water. My grip around the fishing rod loosened but remained firm enough in case of a sudden big catch. I sighed against the wind running through my hair.

Pikachu heard my sigh, misunderstood it, and hopped over to ask about it.

"Oh, nothing's wrong. I was just enjoying myself." My toes wiggled underwater. "It's been a while since we've been able to enjoy the water like this. Nice weather, too—"

A loud splash muted my voice, followed by a cry for help.

Eevee had slipped on one of the overhanging trees and fell. The only thing keeping her from dropping into the water was her tight grip on the branch.

"Oh no! Quick, Pikachu!!"

While I hurried back to shore, Pikachu went ahead of me. She raced over to the tree, hurried up the trunk, and ran out to grab Eevee. But, just as she made it, the branch snapped. Eevee fell into the water.