45 A Short Squabble

Rushing back to camp, we found all the Pokémon trying to stop a vicious argument between Torterra and Gyarados. Luxio stood in the middle of the two, attempting to assert his dominance over the two, and getting nowhere due to the unfortunate difference in size.

"Of course, it's the two we left in charge!" I panicked.

Paul marched over to them. "What the hell's going on? You both need to quit fighting!"

They both turned and launched random attacks at their trainer, forcing him to back off.

"What the...?" Paul retreated to my side. "What's gotten into them?"

"Wow. They're acting just as well-mannered as you."

"Quit the jokes, Girlie. We've got a serious issue on our hands."

"You think I don't see that?! How are we gonna stop the fight between the two largest and scariest team members?"

Luxio called over to me.

"Yes, absolutely. Go ahead, Luxio! Show 'em who's boss!"

Nodding, Luxio howled at both giants to quit fighting and settle down.

They dismissed him.

Irritated, Luxio louder and louder, even firing off a Thunder Bolt.

The attack engulfed both Pokémon. Only Gyarados felt anything, and he refused to back down. They both fired attacks back at Luxio. He dodged, but he was left more frustrated than ever.

Luxio took a huge breath before roaring as loud as he possibly could. His roar made the ground tremble, scaring all of the other Pokémon. As he roared, yellow sparks flew off his teeth in random patterns. These sparks lashed out at the quarreling Pokémon, dealing enough damage to even make Torterra turn his head.

The fight had finally been silenced.

"Whoa! Since when is Luxio capable of that?"

I didn't answer. My eyes were on the cat who looked as surprised as the rest of us at his sudden increase in power. Still, he used the opportunity to order both Torterra and Gyarados to calm down, which they did.

"That roar..." I muttered.

"Hey, Rosa?" Paul waved a hand in my face. "You there?"

I approached Luxio. "Hey, Luxio. Can you do that again?"

He turned his head.

"No. Not the roar. The electricity coming off your teeth. Do it again."

He opened his mouth, tensed up, and caused electricity to engulf his mouth.

My excitement shot through the roof.

"That...That's Thunder Fang!!" I brought my hands up to my face. "You know what that means, right?!"

After a moment, his eyes bulged. He smiled, jumped for joy multiple times, and wagged his tail like an overly-excited puppy.

"It's almost happening! It's almost happening!! Yay, yay! Yay!!!"

Everyone looked at us funny.

"What's wrong with you two?"

"Nothing's wrong. Everything's great! Luxio just learned Thunder Fang on his own, and after that mighty roar, there's no doubt in my mind!"

"No doubt about what?"

"Luxio's gonna be a Luxray soon!"

"Really?"