37 A Series of Fortunate Events

A/N (A Very Important PSA): Someone recently told me that Rosa and Paul's relationship is 1000% the "Someone will die... Of fun!!" meme and now I can't stop smiling like a damn idiot. Heehee, can you guess who's who?

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk! Enjoy a double update, my lovely readers!!

We hit the dirt floor with a heavy thump that knocked the wind out of me before skidding along for a bit. We came to a stop, and I sucked a huge breath of air into my collapsed lungs.

Once I could breathe again, I cracked my eyes open. A pounding headache fought its way to the forefront of my skull, refusing to be ignored. The scent of freshly-laundered clothes couldn't be ignored either, or the hint of aloe consuming my nose, which was crushed against surprisingly defined chest muscles.

"H...uh?"

A small groan escaped me as I inclined my head to see for myself.

Paul had brought me tight against his chest and rolled so that he was the one who smacked against the ground. His arms circled me protectively, one hand shielding the back of my head and leaving no defense for his head whatsoever. His hair had bits of gravel and tree bark.

"Paul?!"

I propped myself up and stared down at him.

"Paul! Paul, are you okay?! Say something!"

He groaned before opening one eye. "Yeah, are you?" Concern laced his voice.

"Thanks to you, it seems."

"Good." He sighed and let his head roll back, resting against the cold dirt.

I rubbed the back of mine. "You...protected me?"

"That so surprising?"

"N-No. It's just... You didn't have to do that. I haven't exactly deserved it."

"Well," he moved to sit up, "someone's gotta preserve your few remaining brain cells."

My eyebrows drew together. "Hmph! And here I was about to thank you. Rude!"

"Don't strain yourself..." His voice dwindled to a mutter as he turned, lifted a hand, and moved it towards my face.

Like a defensive porcupine, my muscles tensed. "What are you doing?"

"Don't move."

"Wh-Why... Hey...!" My eyes squeezed shut the second he touched my hair. It was only for a split second, and then he retracted his hand. I cracked one eye open and found a small twig in between his fingers.

"This was in your hair."

I gawked at the stick like an idiot. "O-Oh. That's all it was?"

"Yeah." He rubbed his head to shake out the debris in his hair. "What did you think I was doing, Girlie?"

"Nevermind! Uh, and thanks. A twig doesn't look as good as a flower, I suppose—and don't call me that!" With a snarl, I threw my arms around his shoulders. "And don't ever...ever...ever do that again! Got that?!"

Startled at my hug, his arms remained at his sides. "I won't if you get better at landing."

"That's something we both need to work on, jerk..."

There was a sudden cough.

Standing nearby, Pikachu, Luxio, Eevee, and Nidorino stared with raised eyebrows.

"It..." My face quickly turned red. I scrambled away from Paul, heart hammering away at my chest. "It's not what you think! I wasn't hugging him!!"