6 A Zubat and a Moon Stone

That next morning, Shinx, Pikachu, and I set out at sunrise. After making a quick stop to stock up on supplies, we stepped outside the boundaries of Pewter City. We found signs labeled Pewter City and Cerulean City.

Underneath the Cerulean City arrow, a separate note warned travelers about going through Mt. Moon. "I wonder why? If it was dangerous to cross through the mountain, you think Brock would've mentioned something," I said.

Shinx and Pikachu both shrugged their shoulders. We decided to continue but remain cautious.

The road stayed quiet. I only heard the footprints of myself and Shinx. Pikachu sat in my bag for the journey. It remained silent between the three of us until Shinx asked me about seeing Brock again. "Well, I would like to see him again once my Pokémon Breeding skills are closer to his level. After all, I made him a promise, and I intend to keep it."

Shinx grinned at me.

"Come on, Shinx. I can't possibly think about that now. I've got to deal with more important things. Besides, he's not my type anyway."

Pikachu asked why not.

"I don't know. I can't explain it very well. He just isn't. I know just by looking at Brock that he could never be the one." They both accepted my answer.

Laughing, I winked at them. "So let me know if somebody more suitable comes around, and I don't notice. Do whatever you want with anyone else."

A pink Pokémon suddenly emerged from the bushes in front of us, with huge blue eyes and pointy ears. "What's that?"

Dex answered that question. "Jigglypuff the Balloon Pokémon. It captivates foes with its huge, round eyes and lulls them to sleep by singing a soothing melody. When this Pokémon sings, it never pauses to breathe. If it is in a battle against an opponent that does not easily fall asleep, Jigglypuff will endanger its life."

I shivered. "That sounds like a miserable Pokémon. I don't know if we should catch it."

"Hold it right there!" A girl sprung out in front of us, armed with a single Poké Ball. "I'm going to be catching this Jigglypuff! Understand?!"

Raising my hands, I stepped back. "Go ahead. I wasn't interested anyway."

"I don't believe you! I'll battle you for it!"

My temper snapped like a twig. "I said I wasn't interested! Now, catch it before it gets away!" The Jigglypuff raced towards some bushes.

"Go Poké Ball!" She tossed the Poké Ball, catching the Jigglypuff. "Finally! I've been chasing that Jigglypuff forever."

"Amateur." I started to walk away with my Pokémon.

The girl jumped in my way again. "Hey! We still have to battle."

"Why? You caught that Jigglypuff fair and square. I didn't want it anyway."

"You were eyeing it even after I caught it, so a battle we must have."

"Were you dropped on your head as a baby?"

"Oh, I've had enough of you. Go, Nidoran!" She called out a male Nidoran.

Unable to resist the pull of an easy battle, I sighed. "If you insist on getting your butt kicked, then here. Butterfree, it's showtime!" Butterfree flew high above Nidoran, already proving to have an advantage.

"Ha! You might have a pretty pink Pokémon, but there's a whole lot more to a Pokémon than how it looks. Nidoran use Fury Swipes!"

"Stupid! You don't think I already know that?! Butterfree, send it back with Gust!" She kicked up a mighty wind, sending Nidoran flying.