12 Island of the Giant Pokémon

When I came to my senses, the sun greeted me first. Sunlight poked through my eyelids, forcing me to open them. Then, I felt the air around me: hot, humid, untainted by civilization. I clenched my fists around soft sand and forced myself up.

"An...island?"

Licking the salt from my lips, I took a shaky breath, looking around to see where I washed ashore. Palm trees circled around me, steadily leading into a thick jungle. Rocks dotted the sand, and waves rolled up the shore, nearly touching my toes several times.

"Tropical, great. Completely deserted, not so great." I coughed when my dry voice escaped my lips, warning me to drink water. "Man, exactly how long have we been out?"

It took me a second to realize that I received no response to my question.

My head turned left and right, scanning the beach around me. No sign of human life anywhere. "Where'd everyone go?"

With the harsh sun beating on my face, I carefully rose to my feet. I nearly fell over a few times from the pain in my knee, looking down to find a large bruise. "That's just great." Still, I forced myself to move forward.

Trudging across the sand, I brought my hands to my lips. "Ash? Misty? Brock?"

Still, no response, and no sign of them.

I stopped and looked around. "I hope they at least landed on the same island. If not, this is going to be a pain. Luxio, could you come out and help with your excellent hear—" When I reached for my belt, I found only a single Poké Ball attached to it. "Eh...?"

Last time I remembered seeing my belt, three Poké Balls sat there instead of one; the rest of the team I stowed in my bag after catching Gyarados. "So there should be three, but there's only one...?"

Hurrying back to the spot where I woke up, I shuffled around in the sand, hoping to uncover the other two Poké Balls. "Why would I be that lucky?" I sat back and let out a disappointed sigh, drooping my head.

The single remaining Poké Ball glared at me, the red coloring slowly becoming painful to the eye. "It's definitely not Luxio. Actually, I can't even remember whether it's Pikachu or Wartortle."

Without hesitation, I chucked the ball. My blue turtle popped out, rubbing his head like he just got off the Gravitron. "Wartortle!" I rushed over to his side, squeezing him tight. "Are you alright, Wartortle? You didn't get injured, right?"

Other than an obvious headache, he made a weak smile.

"Yeah. We have seen better days."

He then asked about my condition.

"My leg's a little bruised, but otherwise, I'm fine. I thankfully landed on the sand, on my ba—Ah! Crap, I landed on my back, huh?!"

Remembering the bag glued to my back, I ripped it off and frantically shuffled through its contents. "Please don't be broken! Please don't... Oh... Phew, thank goodness!" My fossil still sat at the bottom of the bag, tightly bundled and in one piece.

Wartortle stepped over for a closer look, wondering what I freaked out about.

"Oh, right. This rock is a Pokémon Fossil. It's said to contain the DNA of a Pokémon that's been extinct for millions of years. Long story short, a scientist gave it to me. I'm supposed to bring it to a lab where supposedly they can bring the Pokémon back to life." He gasped in surprise. "I know. Cool, right? I'll better explain the details later. Right now, let's focus on finding the others and getting off this island." He nodded his head.

Taking a moment, I quickly rearranged my bag, first stuffing my jacket at the bottom of the bag to better cushion the fossil. "Not like I'll need it on a tropical island anyways."