30 A Gutsy Move

All at once, the three bikers exploded with laughter. Tears gushed from their eyes. Harris and Zeke rolled around on the sidewalk, howling and slamming their fists into the ground. Even the composed Dwayne held back a few hearty chuckles like an old man reading comic strips in the morning paper.

"What's so funny?"

"You really think you can defeat us?" asked Zeke. "You're nothing but a little girl yourself? It's impossible to take down three tough men when you and your Pokémon are just shrimps."

My blood pressure spiked. "What the hell does it matter if I'm a girl? I can still beat every single one of you! Don't underestimate me!" Their continued laughter made my blood boil. I clenched my teeth in frustration. "Fine. Actions speak louder than words anyway. You won't be smiling like that when I wipe the floor with you!"

"Alright, sweetheart, if you insist that much..." Harris threw a Poké Ball. A slimy, purple ball of sludge growled at us and waved around two sludge arms.

I covered my nose. "What's that smell? It smells worse than a Gloom."

The Pokémon barked at me for the insult.

Dex scanned the unknown Pokémon. "Grimer the Sludge Pokémon. Grimer emerged from the sludge on a polluted seabed that was exposed to X-rays from the moon. This Pokémon loves anything filthy. It constantly leaks a horribly germ-infested fluid from all over its body."

"Hmm. A Poison-type? I can handle that." I reached for a Poké Ball.

"Be careful, miss!" Lostelle said to me with huge, watery eyes. "That Pokémon looks scary."

"It'll be fine." Paul tapped her shoulder and motioned for them both to step back. "I've seen Rosa take on bigger challenges. This match won't be very long."

I faced forward, unable to hide the growing smirk on my face. "No, it won't."

"Still wanna fight, little mouse?" asked Harris as his Grimer roared once again.

Upon hearing the pet name, something inside me snapped like a toothpick. "Go, Cubone!" I called out my Cubone for his first official battle ever. "Cubone, remember what we talked about during this morning's training, and show these bastards what for!" He roared and brandished his club.

"Sure got a cute Pokémon there, but sorry. It's toast. Grimer use Sludge Bomb!" Grimer fired a ball of sludge at Cubone.

"Dodge!" Cubone effortlessly jumped out of the way. "Leer!" He glared at his opponent, eyes glowing red from underneath his skull-helmet. Grimer shriveled up in fear from the intimidating gaze.

"Don't let it scare you. Sludge Bomb, again!" Grimer attacked.

"Pathetic. Bone Club!" After dodging Grimer's second attempt at Sludge Bomb, Cubone smacked it on the head with his club, knocking the Sludge Pokémon unconscious immediately upon impact.

"What the?!" cried Harris.

"Excellent job, Cubone! Your first win!" He emitted a victory cry and twirled his club in the air.

Harris quickly recalled his Pokémon, staring over at me with wide eyes. "She's a lot stronger than she looks!"

I shrugged. "And you're a lot weaker than you look. Can't judge a book by its cover, I guess. So, you wanna keep fighting?"

Growling, Zeke switched places with his comrade. "You just got lucky, brat."

"While we're talking, why are you trying to take this girl's Pokémon? Not willing to seek out and capture a Shellder for yourself, huh? I'm sure if you got on your knees and begged, the professor might be willing to give you a Squirtle."