66 Diving with Pokémon 101

Where better to go swimming than a crystal-clear ocean as far as the eye can see and a massive, cloudless umbrella overhead? Our cruise ship, the S.S. Voyager, sat anchored just past a coral reef reaching out from the islands like a tentacle. It had been that way since the captain and crew first announced our arrival at the Seafoam Islands earlier that morning.

As the time now crept closer to 1 o'clock, hundreds of Pokémon Trainers and their Pokémon dotted the water's surface between the two islands and the boat. Coming and going. On their way to accomplish their goals, whether it be exploration or relaxation, or anything in between.

Some of our fellow passengers enjoyed a day of fishing with equipment brought from home or rentals borrowed from the ship. Others went diving. All of them swam at some point whether they liked it or not. The crew had informed everyone ahead of time that they would not be providing transportation to the islands or back to the boat.

Needless to say, that wasn't a problem.

Nearly all passengers aboard the Voyager either were Pokémon Trainers themselves or had friends that were Pokémon Trainers. This meant that everyone would be safely accompanied by a Water-type creature of some variety.

Paul's Water-type of choice was not his Pokémon but mine. Yet he thoroughly enjoyed how much he stood out from the crowds of Trainer-owned Goldeen, Seaking, Golduck, Wartortle, and the occasional Poliwhirl. Anyone swimming nearby marveled in awe at the rare Pokémon carrying Paul on his back.

"Steady, Lapras," he said. "Just keep an eye out for her brown hair."

Lapras happily whinnied and splashed his flippers.

Some water got on Paul, but he didn't mind. He instead stood up to pat Lapras's neck. "I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself. This must be your first swim in the ocean in a while. It's no fun being cramped up in a Poké Ball, huh?"

Our two Poliwag took turns catapulting off the dinosaur's head and into the water.

"Get your fill, everyone. We'll be here till tomorrow night—Agh!"

Eevee suddenly jumped onto Paul's head and pointed to a spot on the surface with few bubbles.

No. Make that tons of bubbles!

"Ah." Paul spotted a shadowy figure with a brown head. "Here she comes."

I breached the surface and opened my mouth wide as a Wailmer to inhale oxygen. My heart wanted to strangle me. Once I could breathe again, I clumsily wiped the water away from my eyes and paddled over to the others.

Paul tapped his Pokétch the second I reappeared.

"That was your best time yet."

I gasped over and over again, clinging to Lapras with one arm. "How long ... Haah ... How long was...was that one?" Wartortle and Horsea appeared beside me.

"Minute and six seconds."

"Damn. Not long enough. Needs to be at least ninety seconds."

"You need to take a break first. Your perfectionism can wait."

"What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with me being a perfectionist. We need to find more Pokémon! The longer I hold my breath, the longer I can stay underwater and look around. And why aren't you helping me out?"

"I am helping." He held up my fishing rod. "I'm fishing for Pokémon while I keep an eye on things up here. I promised to join you once you found anything interesting, didn't I?"

"All I heard were excuses. You know, the same thing happened back on the Cycling Road, and then I found out you didn't know how to ride a bike. Is this your way of admitting that you don't know how to swim, too?"