22 Prepare for Big Trouble

As I turned around, an Ice Beam shot at my face. I collapsed in shock, watching the blue beam of light fly over my head. "What the...hell was...that?" I panted, one hand placed over my rapidly beating heart.

"Sorry!" A little girl with brown pigtails skipped over to us. She held a blue tadpole up above her head, who fired off an Ice Beam identical to the first. "Poliwag, stop it! The game's over!"

My heart rate slowly returned to normal. "Oh, it came from this Poliwag."

Dex scanned the Pokémon. "Poliwag the Tadpole Pokémon. The direction of the spiral on the belly differs by area. It is more adept at swimming than walking despite its serious lack of arms."

The girl made a face. "I'm so sorry! We were playing hide-and-seek, and when I found my Poliwag, he got so scared he used Ice Beam! I just taught the attack to him this morning, so he's not good at using it yet. Say sorry, mister!" Poliwag smiled, his stubby legs and tail flailing cheerfully.

I got to my feet and brushed the dirt off my arms. "Oh, don't worry about it. We're all fine here. No harm done."

The little girl gave a toothy smile before sternly glaring at Poliwag. "Don't feel like you're off the hook, mister! You're still in trouble even if the pretty lady forgave you."

"Pretty?" I quietly repeated.

Suddenly, her eyes widened. "Wow! Is that a Pikachu?! Ooh, and who's that Pokémon?"

Pikachu timidly jumped onto my head, and Luxio leaned against my leg. I scratched behind his ears. "This is Luxio, and yes, this is a Pikachu. They're some of my good buddies. I have more Pokémon, too."

The girl's eyes sparkled. "That means you're a Pokémon Trainer, right?"

"Yep."

"Yippee! We just met a real Pokémon Trainer! Yay!" She and Poliwag twirled around in circles. I envied the amount of energy she contained in her tiny body. "Oh, yeah. Mommy's gonna yell at me if I don't remember my manners. I'm Daisy. What's your name?"

"It's nice to meet you, Daisy. My name's Rosa."

"Rosa, huh? You must like flowers a whole lot, don'tcha?" She pointed up at my hairclip.

I grinned. "That's right. I love flowers."

"Me too! Me too! I love the way they smell. I love the way they look, but not the way they taste. Bleh! I don't like eating flowers. I wouldn't try eating one if I were you."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Thanks for the advice."

"Hey, hey. Can you guess what my favorite flower is?"

"Hmm..." I jokingly put a finger to my chin. "Let me guess. Daisies?"

"Oh, wow, you're smart! How'd you know?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Lucky guess."

"I bet your favorite flower is a rose. Right?"

"How'd you know?"

"Lucky guess! Lucky guess!" Daisy jumped up and down a thousand times. Then she tugged on my jacket, motioning for me to step closer. "Listen. Want to know a secret?"

"I'd be honored." I knelt beside her.

Daisy whispered into my ear, "I'm gonna become a Pokémon Trainer."

My eyebrow raised. "Why does that need to be a secret?"

She gripped the hem of her dress. "Because mommy doesn't want me to become a Pokémon Trainer. She wants me to be a scientist instead."