36 The Paths of Least Resistance

With only six hours to explore the Safari Zone, everyone split into smaller groups and headed to areas higher on their priority list. Time had to be used wisely if you wanted to capture the strongest, rarest Pokémon in the park.

Or more specifically, if you wanted to find a Dratini nest.

Unfortunately, neither Paul nor myself knew where to begin our search. The Pokédex provided us with limited information on the species' preferred habitat. The device recommended searching around rivers, lakes, or significant bodies of water. Of course, the information also had a bit of subtext:

Dratini tend to be skittish and will flee at the slightest noise, so tread lightly.

"No surprise there, considering people hunt Dratini all the time," I murmured.

Paul and I traversed the Safari Zone's plains of dry grass that reached up to our waist. Luxio, Pikachu, and Eevee perched on our head and shoulders to avoid getting separated, and Dratini remained in my bag.

When nearing a sunny patch of soil, we encountered a group of orange Pokémon with large pincers, pale yellow eyes, and spotted mushrooms enshrouding their backs. They seemed rather unfazed by our appearance and continued basking in the sunlight.

Paul's Pokédex analyzed them: "Parasect the Mushroom Pokémon, and the evolved form of Paras. It battles using poisonous spores that spread from the mushroom canopy on its back."

"Good enough for me. I could use another Bug-type. Go, Safari Ball!"

The closest Parasect became Paul's newest team member, reinforced by the results found on his Pokédex.

"This is a pretty strong one, too." He spoke quietly to not startle the others.

"You're not gonna do that the entire time we're here, are you? We can't waste a second."

"What? Do you expect me to analyze them after? That'll just be a waste of Safari Balls."

"It would still be a waste if you went and released them here. The Safari Balls get used either way. Just keep them until we're done. You can scan everyone back at the Pokémon Center, and any Pokémon you don't want I'm sure other Trainers will be happy to receive."

He smirked. "I bet they would. No way they'll catch anything as strong as the Pokémon we get."

"Exactly. Now, let's keep going."

The next Pokémon reacted much more violently than the Parasect.

Upon spotting us hiding in the bushes, this Pokémon swiped its foot against the ground, howled, and charged straight at us with its horn lowered. I burst from our hiding spot to meet the living bulldozer halfway, standing my ground.

"Sorry, but you're coming with me, Rhyhorn!"

Unable to turn and get away in time, Rhyhorn became my latest capture.

An intense desire to jump in circles overcame me as I collected the ball. "Yes! I finally have my own Rhyhorn!"

"Rhyhorn?" Paul approached with both Pikachu and Eevee on his shoulders. Luxio walked at his side. "Isn't that the basic form of a Rhyperior?"

"Correct. Here."

I pulled up Rhyhorn's Pokédex entry: "Rhyhorn the Spikes Pokémon. Rhyhorn is covered in a tough armor akin to that of a tank, giving it incredible offensive and defensive battle skills. It recklessly charges ahead, trampling over anything in its way."

My eyes sparkled at the logged images of my latest team member. "Ever since I was little, I've wanted a Rhyhorn. Trainers always challenge the Sunyshore Gym with Rhyhorn or its evolutions since the entire family is such a good match against Electric-types. And of course, they're cute, too!" I pumped my fist into the air multiple times. "Yay, I finally have one!"