35 Into the Safari Zone!

The sun barely rose up over the mountains when we left the Pokémon Center, painting the sky a blend of orange and pink. I insisted on making the trip to the Safari Zone on foot, because who could pass up an opportunity to enjoy the scenic route?

The gentle colors of the dewdrops on leaves. The crowing of sleepy Pokémon, some enjoying the morning light far more than others. The beauty of nature without the distraction of the usual city sights. My nose was overwhelmed by the scent of trees and plants freshly watered by misty rains in the night.

It was a good kind of overwhelming.

Despite the day's predictable sunny weather, my chilled arms begged me to find a jacket and slip it on. If I didn't, the autumn air would not be merciful, but I suppose that's the curse of an impending winter.

Paul scoffed as I zipped the jacket up to my collar. "Is this the same girl who loves standing in the middle of rainstorms?"

I marched alongside him with an unwavering smile. "Shut up. I'm used to warm, humid summer storms. You know, any storm that has a chance at producing thunder and lightning? I'm not as good with the cold. I'll start to shiver eventually."

"Better think about getting a thicker jacket when it starts to snow, then."

"Maybe I'll get one on the way back into town tonight. But for now, who cares? I have to focus on more important things!"

I proceeded forward with a skip in my step. We were on our way to Kanto's famous nature preserve, the Safari Zone, a place where wild Pokémon roam free just waiting to be captured. I felt like a child heading to her own birthday party, which led me to sing about the day's future adventures:

I'm gonna catch some Pokémon!

Paul's going to get way less than meeee!

I'm gonna catch 'em all!

Paul fought back a smirk as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Oh, it's a competition now, huh? You should know that I do great outta spite, especially when it comes to catching strong Pokémon."

His subdued amusement widened my grin. "Well, I have a theme song now, so I'll win." I continued to create more and more verses to my theme song, and all the Pokémon joined in at various points.

Paul couldn't help but growl when even Eevee joined in. Of course, if he was really upset, he would've said something.

And he didn't.

After a half-hour walk, we arrived at the Safari Zone entrance. There first was the gatehouse, the only building for miles. It had magnificent, blue-stone roofing, half-timbered exterior walls, an array of windows, and a raised wooden deck granting access to the front door.

The gatehouse sat beside a wooden fence standing thirty feet high at least. This fence stretched out like a couple of arms, extending in either direction and encompassing the Pokémon-filled grasslands hidden on the other side of the thick, wooden planks. An archway hovered above a gate with a sign reading: "Safari Zone - World's Greatest Pokémon Preserve!"

I pumped my fist into the air.

"Here we are, yeah! I'm going to get all sorts of Pokémon, yeah!"

Paul practically begged, "C'mon, stop singing, will ya?"

"This song will never end if you keep that up, yeah, yeah, ye—!"