48 Sparks Fly

A frisbee darted through the air, aiming right at my nose. Everyone else freaked out a lot faster than I did. Even Luxio considered obliterating the toy with an attack. However, a Jolteon appeared from nowhere to catch the disc before anyone acted.

"Sorry, sorry!" A boy raced over to us with golden hair styled in tall spikes. "My throw was off. You're good, right?"

"Oh, I'm fine. Thanks to your Jolteon, apparently."

He took back the disc. "Good catch, bud." The Pokémon barked at him.

My eyes lit up with excitement. "Mind if I pet him?"

"Go ahead. Just careful of the spikes."

"Come on. I'm not an amateur." I sat down on my knees and quickly went from petting Jolteon's head to hugging its entire body. "Wow. These painful spikes are signs of a healthy coat and a pampered Jolteon. What a well-raised Pokémon you've got."

The boy blushed. "Thanks, I appreciate it."

"If the spikes hurt, stop hugging it, you psycho," hissed Paul.

"Not a chance. Nothing's better than a Jolteon hug." Jolteon licked my face.

"Sparky, you've gotta be more careful! You could break someone, or something," said Pyro. "And I'll make you do twenty laps around the mountain if you so much as chip one of our precious stones."

"Don't worry, butthead. It turned out fine," replied the nonchalant brother. The two quickly got into a wrestling match.

Rainer gave a great big sigh of disappointment. "Anyways, that is Sparky, the brother who has chosen a Jolteon as his lifelong partner. Not the best choice, but to each their own, I suppose."

"You're just butthurt because your Vaporeon keeps getting fried by my Jolteon!"

"Oh yeah?! And you just conveniently forgot the thousands of times we've washed you away with Hydro Pump, huh?!"

The Eeveelutions themselves bickered alongside their trainers.

"True brothers," Paul whispered to me. I nodded.

"Though if I had to pick a favorite," I eyed the Electric-type Eeveelution, "I'd obviously go with Jolteon."

"Yes! Someone with brains!" cheered Sparky, right before his brothers pummeled him.

Meanwhile, Paul's Vaporeon frowned at me.

"No, no, don't take it like that. You're the best Vaporeon out there, absolutely, but you know how I feel about Electric-types. I mean, I've been playing with Volt's Jolteon ever since I was a baby. Sorry. I meant no offense."

She accepted my apology, though Silver glared at me.

"I'm serious, so don't look at me like that!"

"So, Jolteon's the Electric-type of the bunch, huh?" Paul grabbed his Pokédex. "Let's see what makes it so special."

"Jolteon the Lightning Pokémon," I answered. "A sensitive Pokémon. When angered or frightened, the hairs on Jolteon's body stick up like needles and can be fired at its opponents. It absorbs charged atoms and can produce 10,000 volts of electricity. Its lungs contain an organ that creates the electricity. The crackling sound of electricity can be heard when it exhales."

Paul stared at me.

Even the three brothers stopped their wrestling match to gawk at me.

I shrugged. "What? It's common knowledge."

"How the hell do you know what a Jolteon sounds like when it exhales?" asked Paul.

"Because you can hear it. Listen."