19 Fighting Fear with Fear

Just as we stepped out onto the sixth floor, a flashlight beam attacked my face and forced me to stop. "Hey, you! What are you doing here?" hollered a voice.

Using my own flashlight, I discovered a green-haired man standing at the other end of the room. He wore a black uniform with a grey belt, gloves, and boots. A bright red R was on his shirt.

"Ha! A human opponent. We can handle that. Let's go, L-" Suddenly, Haunter materialized right in front of us, making me shriek. "Haunter?" It looked back at me and snickered. "Do you...want to fight?"

"Hey, kid, quit ignoring me and tell me why you're here!"

I snapped out of fear mode. "I hardly think that's any of your business! This is a public place, after all."

"Mouthing off, huh? Let's see how smart you are after I beat you! Go, Drowzee!" He threw a Poké Ball. A different yellow and brown Pokémon appeared before him. "Teach them not to mess around with Team Rocket. Psybeam!" Drowzee raised its hands and fired a multicolored energy beam at us.

Haunter flew into a tombstone and vanished; the Psybeam collided with the grave and destroyed it. After coming back into view, the ghost started to cackle.

The Team Rocket agent growled in frustration. "Again!" Drowzee fired one Psybeam after another.

Haunter avoided each attack with ease.

However, after several attempts, Drowzee managed to graze the Ghost Pokémon. It seemed to not be damaged, but it no longer showed signs of its goofy nature. Putting its hands together, Haunter formed a ball of black energy and hurled it forward.

Drowzee took a direct hit from the attack and collapsed.

"What attack was that, Dex?" I asked.

My Pokédex quickly responded, "Shadow Ball."

"Drowzee use Poison Gas!" Drowzee blew out a cloud of purple smoke from its long snout.

I made a face. "But, isn't Haunter a Poison-type?"

Haunter laughed again before flying right into the poisonous cloud.

A moment passed by.

Then Drowzee got launched into the ceiling. The sudden rush of air cleared away the smog, revealing Haunter with a fist engulfed in black energy.

I beamed at Haunter's battle prowess. "That must've been Shadow Punch."

Not willing to give up, the TR agent ordered another Psybeam.

Unable to dodge in time, Haunter got hit by the super effective attack and groaned in pain, falling to the ground.

"Haunter, are you okay?" I tried running over to help, but it insisted I stay back.

Returning to the air, Haunter made itself glow in a purple light. It rushed forward and sent its fists flying at an incredible speed. The attack blasted Drowzee back with an incredible force, knocking the creature into its Trainer.

"Nice use of Payback!" I commended.

Haunter held up a thumbs-up.

Recalling Drowzee, Green Hair went to retrieve another Poké Ball.

Acting quickly, I thrust my arm forward and pinned the man back against a wall. My forearm remained tight across his throat. "I'm in no mood for ghosts, but even less for you bastards. That ghost downstairs. You got past it somehow, right? Tell me how!"

"Why would I?" he spat.

I snapped my fingers.

Luxio responded by snarling and showing his teeth, blue sparks coming off his tail.