33 Fuchsia's Famous Funhouse

The next morning, Paul and I arrived at the Fuchsia City Gym as early as possible. I brimmed with confidence for my battle, having gotten plenty of sleep. Now, I stared at a building styled like an old-fashioned mansion.

Unfortunately, the front doors were closed.

"Well, we're here. What do we do now?" I asked.

"Not sure exactly," replied Paul. "The doors were closed yesterday, too, but this was where a lady handed out our passes."

Cupping my hands over my mouth, I projected my voice as loud as possible. "Hello! Is anyone there? We've come to challenge the gym! We reserved two spots for battles this morning."

Right after my call, the gate slowly creaked open.

"Hi, there!"

Hearing the sudden voice from behind us, I screamed and jumped away. A woman appeared seemingly out of nowhere. She wore a black ninja outfit with a red scarf and hair pulled back by a hairband.

"H-H-Hello..."

"I thought you said you'd be here when we got here," said Paul, ignoring my outburst.

"You two know each other?" And why does that upset me?

"Of course. She's the one who gave us these passes."

The lady giggled. "Fufufu. Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. My name's Janine. My father is the Gym Leader in this city. I'm training to use Pokémon as well as him, so I work as his apprentice and help with the challengers."

"Yeah, you said that before," groaned Paul as though he spoke to a broken record. "Where is your father? Can we battle him now?"

"He's just inside. But, I'm going to have to ask only one of you to go at a time."

"One at a time?" we repeated.

"It's part of the challenge here at the Fuchsia Gym. Only one challenger at a time. The others have to wait outside. If you guys came later, you'd witness the huge line that always forms right here at the front gates. Teehee!" She suddenly got close to Paul. "And the only reason I gave you passes is that this one is so cute!"

"Huh?" I muttered, blinking rapidly, and yet my chest felt a sudden tightness.

Paul nervously coughed, "I'm flattered. Can we change the subject now? If it's the rule, do you want to go first, Rosa?"

Pressing my lips together, I made a face and folded my arms. "Oh, I bet you want me to go first, don't you? That way, you can spend all the time in the world out here with her."

A blush swept across his face. "What?! That's not it! It'll just give me extra time to come up with a balanced team!"

"And why would that matter anyway? You jealous?" smirked Janine.

My body went rigid. "N-No, of course, that's not it! Hmph!" Tightening my jaw, I marched past them towards the open gym doors. "Well, if you insist, I'll go. Come on, you guys. Let's get our next badge!"

Pikachu and Luxio both hurried after me.

"We'll be here when you get back!" yelled Paul, Janine, and Eevee, waving at us and wishing us good luck.

I waved back, a little annoyed at Janine clinging to Paul so much. "Yeah..."

The gate closed behind me, leaving me alone with just my three Pokémon.

"What the heck was that?" I asked myself, wondering why I felt so upset back there.

Pikachu's cry snapped me out of it.