27 A Deal's a Deal

Suzie prepared tea and snacks for everyone. She also cooked a batch of Pokémon food just for Vulpix, and I helped out. She wanted me to learn the recipe for myself. Suzie stressed the importance of getting used to making food with specific Pokémon in mind, not just for specific types. A good method was to pay attention to the preferred flavors of each Pokémon.

Once all snacks were ready, the two of us carried all the prepared food out to the dining room table. Paul, Luxio, Eevee, and both Vulpix sat awaiting our arrival at a big table. "Here you go, guys. Dig in!" chirped Suzie.

"Thanks very much," replied Paul.

"And this is for you." I crouched and placed a bowl of food in front of the two Vulpix. "Go ahead. Tell me what you think."

They both sniffed the food, plucked a piece of kibble from the pile, and gulped it down.

Their faces lit up, and they began inhaling the rest.

"They're eating it!" I gasped in delight, particularly happy to see my Vulpix eating.

"Wow, Rosa, that's impressive! You nailed it on the first try. Even my Vulpix seems to enjoy your cooking," noted Suzie as we watched the two foxes bicker over the food. "And she never eats anything I didn't prepare myself."

"That's no surprise. She's the one who makes all the food."

"Ah!" was all I could say; I was unable to properly form words with my burning cheeks, as much as I wanted to call him out on another oddly-placed compliment.

"Really?" asked Suzie. "You're the one who prepares all the Pokémon food?"

I twiddled my thumbs. "Y-Yeah, I am. A friend helped me make my own recipe."

"Well, I'd love to meet that friend one day. I mean, just take a look at your Luxio. He has a beautiful, shiny coat, which is a direct result of a well-maintained diet. You could probably make a great Pokémon Breeder if you wanted."

My face burned hotter and hotter. "Oh, quit it. It's just a few things picked up along the way. And while I've always pondered becoming a Pokémon Breeder, I'm aiming to become the world's strongest Trainer. It's just, before that, I first have to become a top-notch Breeder in order to properly raise Pokémon."

She nodded. "That's a good mentality, Rosa, and the best way to start learning about the ways of a Breeder is by learning how to properly feed Pokémon. You know, my career as a Pokémon Breeder also began when I first became interested in Pokémon nutrition.

"So, does that you mean you both are traveling as Pokémon Trainers?"

Paul replied, "That's right. We both came here from Sinnoh."

"That's quite a journey."

"Yeah. It's been, uh, a little bumpy." He turned to me.

I met his eyes and looked away with a frown.

"Well, I think it's safe to say Vulpix is all back to normal now," said Suzie. "She's already looking a thousand times better than when you brought her here."

Looking over to Vulpix, I nodded. "I'd say so."

"Speaking of looks, Suzie, we saw a really tacky-looking place when we were walking down the street. The voice we heard was kind of annoying, but they had a line out the door so they must be popular. Are they really that good?" asked Paul.

"Oh yeah. That salon. And there were some super fancy-looking Pokémon, too. Is that really the latest fashion trend around here?" I added.

Suzie frowned. "Ever since it opened, Trainers are trying to make their Pokémon look as flashy as possible. You know, a good Breeder is always trying to bring out a Pokémon's inner strength and personality, but this new fad is about standing out, not what's inside."