68 Under the Weather, On the Sea

Because of my chilling ordeal, I spent all morning seeking out each and every heat source on the ship. My shower produced so much steam that Paul worried it'd set off the fire alarm. People saw me drinking hot tea and figured I'd gone insane. "It's over a hundred degrees today and you're drinking that?!" squealed Livvi at breakfast, one of my new friends that still had yet to best me in a Pokémon battle.

"And you wanna know something funny? I think I'm still cold," I laughed.

Later, I relaxed in the hot tub for a lot longer than the recommended time limit.

"Ahhhhh." My body melted into the sides of the pool. "This is nice."

On the other side, Luxray sat near the steps entering the hot tub. He spent the last hour dipping his two front paws into the water. He didn't care for the sensation of his fur getting wet at all; we already knew that.

"Luxray, I already said you don't have to force yourself to like the water."

He grunted, submerged all paws at once, and immediately bounced out of the pool.

You see, Luxray was upset with himself. On our return to the boat last night, Paul and I told Luxray what happened back in the caverns. My best buddy immediately resorted to cursing himself for not being there to protect me against the Tentacool and Tentacruel. He stuck to my side like glue ever since.

Now, since I sat in the water, he also wanted to be in the water.

"It's going to take some time getting used to it, you know."

He grunted at me before going into the water yet again. Same result.

Raichu and I watched him process the water with troubled expressions. "You do you, buddy."

Vee!

My head snapped to the left.

I found Eevee racing out to us, zigzagging between the legs of passersby. However, when she attempted to put on the brakes, she lost her balance, tripped, and rolled forward like a bowling ball. She plopped straight into the hot tub.

Luxray furiously gave the pool a wide berth to avoid getting splashed too much.

"Eevee!" I hoisted her out of the water and onto the floor like a wet towel.

Eevee took a moment to catch her breath both from running and from almost drowning. She shook her fur to get rid of the water, which further angered Luxray. He yelled at her. Eevee paid him no attention, though.

"What's wrong, Eevee? What's got you so worked up?"

She whimpered and pointed back in the direction of our cabin.

My body turned as cold as the icy water I plunged into less than twenty-four hours ago.

In a split second, I went from a deep soak in the hot tub to a breakneck pace back toward the room, with Eevee hot on my tail. At least five people yelled at me to slow down, but did I listen to them? Absolutely not. I had more pressing concerns than my own neck.

Upon reaching the door, my foot kicked it open the instant the card reader blinked green.

"Paul, are you okay?! Why didn't you call me earlier?!"

"Because I didn't need to call you," he responded from the bathroom. Paul stood over the sink with a thermometer in his mouth. Judging by the towel in his hands and the water droplets dotting his jawline, he probably just finished washing his face. "Why do you look like you've just seen a ghost?"

"I'm surprised to see you up. Eevee told me you're dying."

"Oh, is that what she told you? That I'm dying?" Paul shot his Pokémon a glare.