24 Friends and Foes Alike

I stopped—stopped moving, stopped breathing. My heart sped up to an Olympic sprinter's rate.

I sucked in a sharp breath of the dust-less air, suddenly seeming so thick. Slapping a hand over my mouth, I collapsed on the floor. My eyes were wide with fear and disgust, and I nearly screamed out my next words.

"What. Is. That?!"

Poliwag and Eevee cowered behind me.

There was a chamber of fluid before us with a Pokémon suspended inside.

Or part of a Pokémon anyway.

A large head with two horns, a left hand and foot with digits that had circular tips, a long tail thick at the base but thinned out towards the end. The fluid in the chamber made it impossible to discern the creature's coat color, although the tail seemed to be a darker shade than the rest of the body—a body vertically torn in half.

And seeing the creature torn in half was what horrified me, like watching invisible hands put together a billion-piece puzzle—on a cellular level.

The Pokémon floated corpse-like inside the chamber, its arm and leg held in place by chains. Its long tail moved back and forth like a metronome, making me question if it was conscious or not.

Overcoming the initial shock, I slowly returned to my feet and stepped closer to the creature. The desire to learn more overcame all my other objectives for the moment. I went over to the nearest computer to search for any information.

And after a bit of file searching, I found some.

"It's called Project Rebirth," I whispered. "They're using DNA of a Pokémon named Mew...and cloning it...to create the most powerful Pokémon in the world." Swallowing hard, my gaze returned to the floating creature. "And this is the result so far."

Eevee and Poliwag asked if the Pokémon had a name.

I slowly nodded. "Mew...two."

We remained silent for a long time.

I stepped back over to the chamber. Mewtwo's face sat inches from mine. "The strongest Pokémon? A clone of Mew? How is this even possible?" I muttered, now more in awe than horrified, and stupidly decided to reach out.

The instant my hand touched the glass, Mewtwo twitched.

My response: jumping ten feet into the air.

Poliwag slapped a tail over my mouth to keep me from shrieking. I shot him an apologetic look. "My bad..."

When we looked back at Mewtwo, it seemed completely unconscious and unaware of our presence. "I can't believe they created a Pokémon. A breakthrough in science, just to be used for evil. How did they even manage it in the first place? And how did they get DNA from a Mew?"

Eevee and Poliwag asked about the Pokémon I mentioned.

"It's a very rare and powerful Pokémon. The ancestor of them all, Mew is said to have the DNA of every single Pokémon contained within its body. The stories also claim that nobody has ever seen it. So getting a DNA sample is simply impossible...or so I thought."

I skimmed over just a bit more information pertaining to Project Rebirth.

"But this Pokémon...it has no idea what's coming. The second it's completed, it's going to be forced into slavery. That's just inhumane."

Eevee suggested finding a way to help Mewtwo.

"Believe me. I want to help just as badly, but it isn't even finished yet. What can we—"