17 A Spooky Detour

Dark clouds lingered overhead, barely distinguishable against the charcoal sky. If there was a moon out, I couldn't tell. Its silver rays of light failed to penetrate the dense forest above, and the thick fog only obstructed my vision further. With the feeling of danger lurking around every corner, my body screamed for me to run away.

I sighed in defeat.

We had come too far. There was no turning back now.

"Keep going north, right?" I asked, squinting at the compass on my Pokétch. Pikachu tightly clung to my head. Her ears and tail twitched at every odd noise, and Luxio constantly reminded her not to freak out.

Walking at my side, Paul consulted his map for the most direct path to Saffron, though it seemed pointless considering the lack of light. "Well, yes, but we have to know how far north we need to walk," he replied. "This forest is going on forever."

"No. This fog is going on forever! I can barely see my own hand, let alone the trees!"

Paul stopped walking, lowered his map, and let his shoulders roll forward. "It's only five and the sun's already gone down. At this rate, we'll have to camp out again."

I swiveled around. "Nuh-uh, don't say that! You said Saffron City was this way!"

He scoffed. "Don't blame me, Girlie. You wanted to take a shortcut."

"I did not!"

"Yes, you did, so just come clean already. It'll make this a lot easier."

A huff escaped my lips. "It'd be a lot easier if I had been the leader from the start. Your sense of direction is terrible—Ow!" I recoiled after Paul flicked me on the nose. "The hell was that for?!"

"My sense of direction is better than yours, and you know it."

I raised my fist. "You son of a—!" The sound of laughter filled my ears, freezing me in place and sapping all my energy. The hairs on my neck stood up like needles. My heart leapt into my throat. "What...What's that?"

Paul turned white as a sheet.

My skin started to crawl. "Uh, Paul?"

He lifted a finger. "Turn around."

Slowly, I obeyed.

Right behind me stood a child wearing a floppy hat and frilly dress. She clutched a ball in her arms, her wide, toothy grin anything but provoking a smile on mine. When she released an all-too-cheerful giggle, I yelped and sprung behind Paul.

"Where the hell did she come from?!" I whined.

"Shut up. It's just a little girl," he hissed.

When Paul proceeded forward, my shaky hand reached out. "No, Paul, don't—"

He ignored me. "Hi there. Sorry if we startled you."

"What are you apologizing for? She startled us."

Paul slapped a hand over my mouth. "Ignore her. She's a bit of a scaredy-cat." He recoiled after I bit his hand. "Do you happen to live around here? We're a little lost and could use some help getting through this forest before it gets too late."

To answer his question, the little girl giggled, turned, and disappeared into the trees.

"Wait a second! We really need your help! This forest is super creepy!" I called. When she ignored me, I shoved past Paul and chased after the girl, the sudden rush knocking Pikachu off my head. "Hey!"

"Rosa!" Paul howled, catching Pikachu in his arms.

I ignored him, trying my hardest to keep up.