39 It's Training Time!

Paul and I departed from the Pokémon Center before the sun peeked over the horizon. Our planned route required a minimum of two weeks time to complete, heading east along the coastline and then north all the way to Saffron. Though I grumbled and complained when Paul shook me awake, it was a mutual agreement amongst the entire team to rise even before the fiery ball of light.

Because the sooner we started, the sooner we'd arrive at our final destination, and the sooner we'd have two more badges in our possession.

"Ahhhh... I can't believe I agreed to get up this early. I'm not a morning person."

"Good thing I am. Just be glad I offered to bike for the first half."

One of my arms gripped Paul's jacket, and the other held Luxio in my lap. I removed my hand from around the sleepy cat to flick Paul's head. "I should make you bike the entire way. You're still crap at it."

"Hey, watch it, Girlie! I'm driving here!"

"Yeah, yeah. Don't call me that..." I relaxed my head against Paul's shoulder, no other viable options for a pillow. My fingers gripped his jacket much tighter. "Wake me up when it's my turn, 'k?"

Trying to ignore his nerves going haywire, Paul pulled my arm around his waist. "At least hang on properly so you don't fall off." He checked over Eevee and Pikachu curled up together in the basket, and then continued to pedal, quietly, to not wake anyone.

Thanks to Paul's efforts, I managed to get an extra hour of sleep. It was impressive, considering his lack of experience not too long ago.

His reward: switching shifts a lot earlier than we agreed.

The second I began my turn at pedaling, he fell asleep with Luxio in his arms.

So much for being a morning person.

We switched every hour until just after ten o'clock. Both of us were exhausted by that point and needed a break, and our Pokémon needed to stretch their legs. Plus, lunch was right around the corner, and we wouldn't reach the next settlement for several hours.

Just off the main road, we discovered a comfortable, grassy spot near a lake. Trees dotted the area to break up the harsh sunlight, and with the lack of both people and wild Pokémon, we deemed it the perfect place to give the team some fresh air.

It was also perfect for some training.

"Come back with Aerial Ace!"

Pidgeotto spun multiple times while avoiding the last of a leaf cyclone. Then, after a graceful u-turn, she tucked in her wings, cloaked herself in light, and dived straight at her opponent.

"Excellent form! All that practice with Fearow has paid off!"

Fearow watched the battle from the closest tree, smiling at my praise.

"Don't get too excited," smirked his trainer. "Stone Edge!"

Torterra howled and stomped on the ground. Rather than shooting out grey stones from his body, he instead caused multiple jagged, light-blue pillars to appear out of the dirt and rush towards my bird.

"Since when could Stone Edge be used like that?!"

"Since now!"

"Break away, Pidgeotto!" Both of us failed to react in time. A rock pillar emerged directly underneath my bird, smashed into her stomach, and sent her flying. She landed on the grass in front of me. "Ah! Pidgeotto, can you keep going?" She groaned before rising to her feet. "Gotta hand it to Paul for teaching his Pokémon a new trick."