Chapter 52: Alice

I look down at my hands, he has tuberculosis and he didn't tell me. How long has he been keeping this from me? Tears form in my eyes as I look at myself in the mirror, I need to confront him, god knows how much more time he has left. I wipe my tears away and look for George. I walk outside and find George. "My love you are back" he smiles as he takes me into his embrace and kisses me. I stand still not reacting nor moving away. He pulls away, "My love are you crying?" he wipes a tear away. I look up at him, I search his face, acting as if everything is okay. "How could you?" I say quietly. "What is it my darling?" he asks me. "You are sick and you didn't tell me?" I look him in the eye.

I watch the shock and panic wash over him, "Damn it" he says quietly, "Alice I can explain" he takes his hand out but I step back. "How could you? How could lie to me and tell me that everything is okay?" I look at him with tears. "Alice I didn't tell you for this exact reason so that you wouldn't worry!" he says defensively. "Did you really think that I wouldn't ever find out?! Of course I'm going to worry you are the love of my life!" I yell at him. He starts to come up with more excuses but I really do not wish to hear it. I walk back inside and lock myself in a spare room and cry. I stay there until dinner.

Dinner is quiet as George and I barely speak to one another. Scarlett doesn't eat but I know that she is too skinny so I press her to eat. She doesn't listen to me but when George tells her to she does. I have enough so I stand up and leave, I have enough of him. What other things did he lie about? I lay down in bed and fall asleep.

In the morning I feel George's arms around me. "My love?" He whispers. I stay quiet intent on ignore him. "I'm so sorry" I hear him start to break down as he holds me closer. "I didn't want you to worry, I love you so much. I never meant to hurt you I'm so sorry," he starts to sob. I feel tears start to stream down my face, I turn to face him. "I love you so much" I whispers as I hold him. We both hold each other as our tears shed. We need to make the most of it and pray to god that he will get better, he is has to. He is the kindest, most selfless person that I know.
***
A few days past by and I start to feel nauseous, I pee more often, I find my feet start to swell, I missed my cycle, I feel pregnant. I decide to go to the doctor today to find out if my theory is true. I put on my hat and go to the carriage, going into town alone. I think to myself, that this is a surprise baby. I already have three sons and my perfect darling Victoria. If it's a boy we should name him Michael after George's brother. If it's a girl, a wide variety of names. Maybe Olga after his sister? Or Xenia? I can't choose Beatrix, we got lucky for the name Victoria anyways.

I hope that George will be happy that I'm pregnant. Maybe this mark a fresh start. No more lies, honesty and love. I know that George will get better, I have been going to church everyday to pray for my husband. I can't imagine my life without him. He makes me feel full of bliss and happiness, he makes me feel butterflies in my stomach every time he looks at me. He has given me the best life that I could have ever asked for, I can not imagine being with anyone else. He is my soulmate. I shut my eyes as I feel the bumpy road. I remind myself of simpler times.
***
George wraps his arms around me from the behind. I jump back in surprise, "Guess who my love" he mutters into my ear. I giggle as a teenager at his silliness. "I think I know who it is" I giggle as he kisses my cheek, going down to my jaw. "Your handsome husband?" He teases, continuing to kiss me as I am intoxicated by his warmth and touch.  "You mean my soulmate?" I whisper. He turns me around to face him.

"I'm your soulmate?"he whispers looking into my eyes leaning close as I feel his warm breath on my skin. He tucks a piece of loose hair behind my ear while placing his other hand on my waist, pulling me closer. "Yes my soulmate" I kiss him gently as my heart races. He kisses me with all of his strength as I wrap my arms around him, pulling us as close I can, until our chests press against one another. He takes me onto our bed, "you are my soulmate too" he whispers into my neck.
***
The carriage stops and I open my eyes. I open the carriage door as Pavel helps me out. I thank him and walk up to the front desk and the same woman as last time is sitting there. "Hello" I muster up a smile as she looks up at me apologetically, "Your imperial highness! I apologize so very much I-," I stop her with a gentle laugh, "Do not worry darling, when is Doctor Vasyvev available to see me?" I ask her. "I will inform him that you have arrived immediately!" She stands up and bows before opening the door to Doctor Vasyvev's office. He steps out immediately and bows, "Grand Duchess Irina, how good to see you again!" The elderly man smiles.

"Very good to see you again as well" I smile politely. "Come sit" he motions me to come to his office. I take a seat across from him. "What brings you to my office today?" He says. "Well actually- I was wondering if you help me tell if I'm pregnant" I ask him. Dr. Vasyvev stands up and does a check up. He looks at me, "Congratulations your imperial highness" he smiles. My heart beats with joy, another baby. Another sibling for our children.

I thank the doctor and go back to the carriage. The ride back home feels short as I notice that the motorcycle that Scarlett and I decided to get him has arrived. I call over Scarlett and she looks at the motorcycle excitedly, "you wait here and I'll go get him," Inform her. She glares at me, "I'll go get him". I look at her, "I'm his wife" Scarlett backs down as I go inside to get him. I ended up finding george in the nursery with baby Victoria in his arms. He spends time with her none stop. She is always in his arms, the bond they have is beautiful. "Darling" I say.

George looks up at me, "Yes my love?" I smile, "there is a surprise for you outside" I tell him. George smiles brightly as he walks out with me while still holding Victoria in his arms. I follow him outside as his smile grows with the motorcycle in his view. "You didn't he smiles with Victoria still in his arms as I watch Scarlett light up when seeing George. I find that her son George, is there as well. "Wow I just-," George is speechless and I am happy. "Let's take a photo" I offer. My love stands next to the motorcycle with baby Victoria still in his arms. She giggles at some silly face that George is doing.

Scarlett goes and stands next to him with her son. "Don't you want to hold George?" I hear her ask him as George keeps his attention on Victoria. I don't hear his reply but he seems to decline her keeping his distance as her son says something. Scarlett looks fuming as I tell them that I am talking the photo. After I take the photo George asks Scarlett to take a photo of him and me as well as our darling perfect little Princess Victoria.  Scarlett takes the photo but I can tell that she isn't happy taking it.

The rest of the day goes by as George spends his time with Victoria and I spend time with Nickie. I figured to tell him that I am pregnant later because Scarlett cut me off to speak with him. I will tell him right before we go to bed. A letter arrives for my love later in the night. One look at it and George sighs in annoyance, "What is it my love?" I ask him. "Tsarevich duties my beautiful wife" he sighs as he kisses my forehead before handing me our daughter.

Our baby daughter keeps her gaze on her father as he opens the letter and reads it, "Damn it!" He yells. I flinch as Victoria starts to cry. "George what's wrong my love?" I ask him, placing my hand on his shoulder. George bubbles in anger as he ignores me walking down stairs and outside to his motorcycle, "George what are you?" But I stop myself, its dark and he wants to ride his motorcycle. "George stop!" I yell at him. "Alice, go inside. I need to cool down." He says starting the engine. "George stop its dangerous!" I say with tears streaming down my face. He is weak from his illness, he can't go out. "Alice I will be back soon"he tells me before kissing my cheek. He kisses Victoria's forehead as he rides off into darkness.

I sit worried as a an hour goes by, he should be back by now right? I look at the grandfather clock, he should be definitely home by now.  I inform the servants to start a search as I get worried. I put on a light coat and get on my horse and start to look for him myself, separating myself from everyone else. I think if all the places he might have gone to, I pray to the lord that he didn't collapse in some field. I ride along the road as I see fragments of metal. I get off my horse and follow the fragments to find a motorcycle destroyed on the side of the road. And a few feet away to me, in my horror, I see his body lay numb on the ground.

I felt my blood go cold, silence was all I heard as I ran towards him with tears falling down my cheeks as I rush to his side. Blood is everywhere I go numb in pain as I see him laying there. His eyes open at the touch of me holding his hand as I sob uncontrollably, his blood staining my clothes. He tries to say something but he ends up puking out blood. "D-darling you must hold on" I cry uncontrollably. "Hold on my love, help should get here in a second" I sob. He weakly places his hand on my cheek, gurgling out something in between the blood. "Shhh, my love you will be alright" I shake as I try to comfort him. "You-can't go, you can't. I'm pregnant your child needs you!" I sob. His eyes light up at the news that I just shared but he was getting weaker. "Please, please!" I hold his palm tighter to my cheek, "I need you, I can't live without you" I beg. But as and many others have experienced, we can't control what death wants.

George's eyes grow tired as looks at me one last time, holding onto me tightly, "I love you Alice" he manages to say before going limp.