Chapter 78: Alice

St Petersburg 1917
"Your Grace a letter" Helena says as I take the letter from her, "Thank you" I look at it, it's from Mama Marie. I rub my face and open the letter,

"Congratulations,
You have become a grandmother again. Your second grandchild was born in the evening of the 18th, our Vicky handled the situation well, she did a wonderful job and gave birth to a healthy baby girl. She has named her Maria, after me and your niece Maria Nikolaevna.  Her full name is Maria Georgiyevich Romanova. A wonderful name isn't it? Although I'm disappointed in Victoria and her actions that have provoked this, she has been handling everything well. You should visit her, you can't keep away the baby's father as much as you want to, he needs to be there.
-Mama

Maria, I have a granddaughter. Thank god that she came out alright and that god did not punish her for Victoria's list of many sins. I put down the letter and think back to what Mama said. I'm not letting her bastard get anywhere near my daughter. He already sinned her enough, it's good that she was taken from the public so that her reputation can be salvaged. He is also married! The worst part she had the bastard of a married man! Poor Sophie, how my heart hurts for her, my whorish daughter ruined everything.

I sigh we think about the proposition that I accepted from King George, George's father. It was a brilliantly constructed plan to separate george and Victoria forever. I accepted of course, she has her whole future and he isn't in it. She is to dedicate her life to the church, to pay off all the sins she has committed. Did I fail as a mother? How could I not see it? Her having sex with a married man? I take out my cigarette and light it as I let my tears fall. What would my george do? What would he say? How would he react to it?

I shut my eyes and inhale my cigarette as I think of a different time, more simpler then this.

"My precious baby girl" George smiles while having baby Victoria in his arms. "My only baby girl" he kisses our infant daughter's forehead as she erupts in laughter and gurgles. "Such a fathers daughter" I smile as I admire their interaction. George would never admit to favorites but I can tell she is his. "Thank you my love, you don't know how much the both of you mean to me, to-to give us such a perfect little girl" he says as he looks down at our little girl and I feel my heart about to burst with emotion.

I snap open my eyes and put out the cigarette. I did what had to be done. Victoria will not ever see george again. I take out the letter to King George that I have been stalling and I call over Helena and order her to send it. Once that is over I get ready to go to visit my son. I put on my shall and I get into the carriage as I am taken to my husbands and son's resting place.
***
I sit on the phone with Alix, "Alice I'm telling you, you must go to Livadia, you can not have your family separated. It's dangerous here in Petrograd, We all see one another in Livadia, you must get there". I clench my handkerchief tightly, "But Alix, I will leave when you leave" I say in a frantic tone. My sons have come back from the front, restlessness has started in the city so you must travel to Livadia. "Please Alice, I order you as Tsarina" she says in a strict tone. "If you will not leave for Livadia in the next two days I will have the guards out for you" she says as her voice cracks.

Tears spill down my face as I listen to her on the phone. "Yes Alix" I say in a shaky tone. "Get packing Alice" she says as I hear her voice crack even more. "Will we ever see each other again?" I ask as I let more tears spill from my eyes. "I- Yes Alice, once the commotion dies down we will see one another" she says before hanging up the phone. I stand up and wipe my tears and call for Helena. "Yes your Grace?" She says. "Helena get everyone packing, only things that are necessary" I order as she nods her head before spreading the word.

I walk out of my office as Madeline walks up to me looking concerned, "Mama what are we-?" But I cut her off, "Pack your belongings and Victoria's too, we are going to Livadia tonight" I say before walking past her to my room, to pack my own things.

As we pack I make sure everything that is needed is taken, especially sentimental items. I make sure all photo albums, anything left of george was carefully packed. Oh god I will never get to see my husband and my son again. Tears shed down my face, "Helena fetch me a carriage, I need to see my husband and son for the last time" I wipe the tears down my face.
"Y-your Grace I do not recommend" she says as I start to hear shouting in the distance, "what is that?" I say wanting to go to the window but Helena stops me.

"Don't go near the window, it's rioters" she says. "They could hurt you," she warns. "But I need to say goodbye" I say through tears. Helena looks at me, "you can't, it's too dangerous, I won't let that happen to you, your Grace, we need to leave tonight" she says as I nod my head. I need to keep my family safe, I can't let anymore bad things happen. I lost my husband, infant daughter, and now I will not let anything happen to any of my family again.

The night comes and Helena and I quietly help my family to the train. Alex, Peter, little peter, and Madeline. Helen helps me onto the train. But she doesn't go on. "Helena! Get on here immediately"I say in a frantic tone. "No, I must keep up the palace while you are gone" she says. "Helena I- we are mostly not going to come back, you have to get on this train" I plead. "But-," I cut her off, "No buts" I take her on before the train starts moving, we are on our way, on our way to Livadia.