Chapter 69: Scarlett

St Petersburg, 1913

I sit at the front of the chapel with Xenia and Sandro on the other side as I watch my son take his vows. "I, George take you Sophia to be my lawfully wedded wife." I watch as he slips the ring on her finger, I think of all the rumors that have been swirling around this girl these past few years, How everyone accuses her of being easy and a common harlot. I look at her snapping blue eyes and I see something that resembles malice. My poor boy he deserves better then this, Vicky would be a better match, anyone can see the way Sophia's hand drifts instinctively to her belly. Everyone knows George hasn't been here long enough to get a child on her, nobody says a word of it, it's their business anyways. I sigh as they finish the ceremony, there is to be no reception but a quiet going away to the little house they're to live in, given to them by Sandro. "They make a handsome couple." Xenia walks over to me as we watch them talk with her sister Irina and Alice's son Nickie. "They do, I hope  they'll have a long life." I watch as Sophia kisses my son, He deserves better then a liar but I will not ill wish them as I used to ill wish people.  "Mama!" George walks over to me and kisses my cheek, he looks happy but I can see the cloudiness behind his eyes that he always has had when he didn't get what he really wanted. "Congratulations my Duckie," I tease and pinch his cheek gently as Sophia looks at me holding his arm tightly as if I would steal him, I am his mother for Christ's sakes! "You look lovely Sophia." I maintain a smile and try not to think how becoming Vicky would look in that dress instead of her. "Thank you, We must be going now." She kisses her mother's cheek and starts pulling George's arm as he shoots me a smile over his shoulder. I wonder If he'll ever tell his father he's married, I heard his father had betrothed him to some Albanian princess but nothing ever came of it. I slowly walk out of the small church holding onto my purse as the sunshine hits my face, I'm so glad my son has promised to come and stay every summer. "Natasha!" I hear Xenia call out as I slowly turn around and see her walking quickly to catch up with me, I like Xenia but Sophia looks like her and I don't want to think of that wretched girl anymore. "We're going to Zenaida's for tea Irina wants to see Felix again." She says as she holds onto my arm, I cringe at that mans awful name, From what I've heard he's a crossdresser that smokes something medicinal. "No thank you, Misha's waiting for me." I say politely and pull myself away, I'd have to be crazy to go over to that house. "Oh, Of course, We'll see you later." She kisses my cheek as I start walking towards home enjoying the pretty summer flowers that have sprouted along the lanes leading up to our house. I pick a few into a bouquet and walk inside to find Victoria sitting on the sofa straight up. I put the flowers done and cross my arms as I look at her, I've practically raised her since she was six years old. "Do you need something Victoria?" I take my shawl off and lay it on the table inside the door. "No mama brought me here, She's speaking with uncle Mimi." She barely glances up at her book at me and my head instinctively goes to the door to the parlor. What business does Alice have with him? She is always busy with her charities and Nicholas, She doesn't like seeing me. "At least I finally get to speak with you." I sit next to her on the sofa and she sits silently next to me, "Will you come around again?" I ask and take out the new dresses I'm sewing for Julia and Alice for Sunday's, Misha enjoys taking them all to church even though I don't go with them, I can see in my Nickie's face how much he enjoys it and how it makes him feel better, If he's well enough to go. "I'm busy, charity and all." She says and doesn't even raise her face to look at me, is it wrong of me to defend my son? She doesn't know him as I do. "Yes, too busy to see the woman that practically raised you, I understand." I say starting to get annoyed at her disrespectfulness, I have taken care of her since she was six! Given her a good mother figure and she returns it by what? Being disrespectful? "You aren't my mother." She finally looks up at me. The words slam into my like a brick wall, All this time I've loved her and acted as a surrogate, All the times she called me Mama in place of Alice and now she just takes it back?! "Of course not, I didn't neglect you." I throw my sewing on the ground and stand up, As I feel my temper rise bubble up in my chest. She just keeps ignoring me and my feel my temper rise up more, I don't have time for disrespectful or ungrateful girls. "I am sorry for defending my son." I snap and start walking towards the door, she should at least show me the respect I deserve as an elder and her aunt, if not a surrogate mother! "Yeah he's your son and I'm not your daughter." She says as I freeze in the doorway, she has no right to bring my son into this, he hasn't done anything. "You were certainly happy enough to call me it." I say calmly, I can't believe her, the Vicky I've always known would never say cruel things. "Well I'm not! I will never be your daughter!" She shouts at me and I feel something snap inside me and I spin on my heel to face her. "Don't you think I know that? It hasn't left my mind since you were six!" I yell back at her, How could she choose Alice who neglects over me that has loved and cared for her?! "Good. I'm glad that I'm not your daughter." She sits back down on the sofa and I look at her in disbelief, "Why would you say such things when I have raised you?" I look at her, She looks furious, all because I defended my own flesh and blood? "Raised me? You might have but at least my mother isn't a hypocrite and denies having favorites! At least she admits to loving Nicholas most!" She stands up and screams at me, I've never seen her like this. I refuse to let my temper rise anymore and give her the satisfaction. "Are you done yelling at me?" I stand to my full height in front of her and cross my arms. "I'm done with you." She storms out of the room and out to the carriage. I can't believe her. I spin on my heel and walk to my bedroom slamming the door behind me.