Chapter 26: Alice

I sit up front in one of the many pews with George by my side. There is not many people here. Less then at Alix's wedding but more then at my elopement. We currently are waiting for the bride to enter. I look over at Boris, he seems like he does not care at all that he is getting married if anything he seems bored. His eyes land on me, he winks. I turned away, embarrassed.

The music begins to play, signaling the bride to enter. We all stand up. Since I am at the very front it takes a few good seconds before I get to see Scarlett, wearing one of the most grandest dresses that I have ever seen, walking down the isle with the Tsar giving her away. I notice the tears running down her pale face, poor girl. "Do you remember our wedding?"George whispers beside me. I turn my head to look at him with a smile, "Yes, it was very magical."
"Very scandalous as well, eloping in the middle of the night," George adds I can not help but let out a quiet giggle. It was scandalous but we were in love.

By the time I turn to look at Scarlett again, Nicholas was giving her away to Boris, the wedding ceremony had begun. Throughout the whole ceremony George would whisper to me, either making me blush or laugh. "Do you remember the way I carried you to our room after-," I stopped him, "Shhh, they are saying I do." I cut him off, with a flushed smile. George just looks at me amused. When I turn my attention back to the alter I felt him intertwine our fingers together. I feel the warm feeling in my stomach, sitting here with the love of my life in this church. Brings back the memories of our elopement. No wonder why he has been reminiscing during this ceremony.

I smile to myself, focusing in on what is being said."I, Boris, give you, Natasha, this ring as a sign of my dedication and love."Boris finishes in his dry tone. "Remember the way that we looked at each other when we were up at the alter, god I couldn't take my eyes off of you. You were so beautiful, irresistible. I-," George mutters into my ear. "
"I am trying to enjoy the ceremony," I repeat again, trying to hide my smile. He is so cheeky, I squeeze his hand.

I think that it is Scarlett's turn to answer because the priest seems to be looking at her, as well as the crowd. She stands in utter silence, frozen. She shifts her eyes towards our direction and replies meekly, "I do."
"Are there any lawful reasons to why these two people should not marry?" The priest's voice booms. "I remember how badly I wanted to kiss you at this point." George whispers to me again, squeezing my hand.

I turned my head and just smile at him with a flushed face. "By the power invested in me, I pronounce you man and wife!" The priest announces as George and I look into each other's eyes. I watch as Scarlett hesitates in kissing Boris. He takes her hand and sort of pulls her down the isle. She looks as if she were a sad porcelain doll.

Everyone left for the ball room. George takes my hand as we slowly make our way there so we wouldn't get caught in the crowd. "I remember how handsome you looked and how charming your smile was." I remember while looking at the paintings on the palace walls. "Ah, so I looked handsome?" George teases as I flush, keeping my gaze forward. I feel his eyes on me. "Yes, the way your eyes twinkled during the ceremony, I will never forget that."

"Well you looked as if you were an Angel, dressed in all white, my own angel from heaven." George whispers to me, sending shivers down my spine. "George, you are the only one that knows how to make my heart flutter." I blush a deep red. George smirks, "I wish that I could kiss you right now."

"That would be very improper of us." I whisper. "Not unless they were secret kisses, no one would know." We stop walking. George looks behind us and the hall in front of us, no one was there. He takes me by my waist and places  his soft lips on mine. When we pull away, we continue to walk to the reception. "How scandalous of us, Grand Duchess Irina."George comments, seeming to enjoy himself and his effect on me.

Once we get to the reception, Grand Duke Michael, my brother in law comes over to speak with George. I walk over to a staff member holding a tray of champagne, "Thank you." I say politely. The man smiles and bows his head. I walk over to the doorway of the ball room, hidden away from all the people. I do not feel like engaging in conversation. I watch Scarlett look frozen and terrified. She stands out from the crowd in her poofy white drills full of frills and bows. Her hair dark as a raven and her lipstick as red as fire. She holds a glass of champagne in her hand but she just stands frozen. I feel such shame and pity for her, to be married off this way, instead of finding someone to truly love.

I drink my champagne, music begins to play and the first dance has begun. I watch as Scarlett dances with Boris, she looked miserable, he looks like he is dragging her around the dance floor. Arms wrap themselves around my waist again, George. He hugs me from the behind, resting his chin on my shoulder. "We did not have a reception."

"Indeed we did not, you carried me straight to our room after that ceremony." I chuckle. "How long is that governess watching our son for?"George mutters into my skin. Leaving me to feel hot and tingling, "Until the morning."I tell him.

"So we have the whole night to ourselves then?"George reassures . "I suppose so." I smile mischievously.
"Then would you like to recreate our wedding night? Specifically the part when I carried you to our room and shut the door behind us? The rest I would rather not say out loud." George's stare pierces into me as my flushed self nods my head. "Let's go before anyone else try's to speak with us." George laughs as I giggle. I feel him let go of me and then suddenly, he was carrying me bridal style to our room.

Knocking, I hear someone knocking on our door, in the middle of the night. George, currently kissing me down my neck as we lay in bed. "George, there is someone knocking on our door."I pull him away. He looks into my eyes and kisses my forehead, "We never get a break do we?" He sighs before getting up, putting on some pants and leaving our room. I hear him open the door and loudly say "Oh Scarlett!" I get the signal and rush over to my dresser, covering myself with the bedsheet, taking out a nightgown and quickly putting it on. I then ran to my bathroom and put a robe on, over my nightgown.

After tying the robe's belt I walk over to see a teary eye Scarlett entering our apartment. "I-," Scarlett was about to say something to me but I cut her off, "You don't have to explain yourself." I say while taking in her appearance. George leads Scarlett to a separate room where she could stay in. She shuts the door behind herself, not even letting George go inside. He stands there with a worried look, "Did you see her bruise? You could see through her white nightgown."

Before I could answer George mumbles angrily, "I am going to kill him, hitting a woman? How low can you truly go?," he starts to march towards the direction of the door until I step in front of it, blocking him from leaving. "No!" I cry out. "Alice, what are you doing?" he snaps. "You can't hurt him." I state. "Why not? Give me one good reason why I should not punch him right in his face?" George impatiently asks. "Because that will ruin the chances of helping her." I answered.

George looked surprised, "Go on."
"Boris seems very possessive of her, he doesn't like when others talk to her. If you hurt him, that will lower our chances of helping her get away from him. If we are nice and polite to him, he will let us see her more, he will let her visit us. If he doesn't do that, then we can go straight to your brother and tell him the situation and ask if we can take Scarlett in. We won't have anything against us unless you go and ruin it by hurting him. Let god punish his actions, we should help by trying to get Scarlett away from him."I explained.

George softened at my idea, "You are so smart, do you know that my love?" He took me into his embrace. "George?" Scarlett's timid voice echoed.