Chapter 19: Scarlett

I despised balls and parties of all sorts. It seems as though everything goes wrong at balls. I thought all of this to myself as I walked into the magnificent ballroom. It was the first time being away from my son I had left him in the royal nursery due to Nicholas's requests. I knew he would get the absolute best care there but I knew how badly it would reflect on Nicholas and me in the future. Why does he insist on helping out the rumors? I knew he was just trying to help me out but the best way to do that would be letting us return to our little country house. I wanted to skip out on this party but I knew I was on thin ice and I had to use every chance to make up with Alix. I looked around the room and saw Katherine looking angry. I just wanted her to understand why I had to keep it a secret and hopefully one day we could make up. I continued looking around the room and saw Alix and Nicholas gliding across the dance floor together. They were so graceful like fairies dancing. I was barely able to tear my eyes away from them they were so magical. But out of the corner of my eye I saw Alices husband standing in corner of the room looking concerned I looked all around but I couldn't see Alice. Had they fought already? I made my way over to him in case he needed advice on Alice. "Hello." I said with a smile. But it was as if I weren't there he just kept staring down in his wine glass. "George." At this he snapped out of his daze. "Where is Alice?" I asked calmly. "I don't know." He said almost at a whisper looking down at his wine glass again. What was the matter with him? He had seemed so friendly at the coronation it was like this was the shell of him. "Why don't you perk up and go look for her then?!" This was all my fault I know it was and now I was causing marital problems again. We were just being friendly and now it had backfired. Of course it had backfired that's the way the world works for me. "Thank you Scarlett I believe I will." He finally spoke up. And went racing off somewhere at a breakneck speed. I hope they will be alright and the argument won't be too bad. After all they do love each other very much and they deserve to be together forever. As soon as the next song started playing I could feel Alixs glare on me She was no longer smiling. If I told her she probably wouldn't believe me anyway. We used to be best friends and now she was believing all the rumors about me. I thought she would have had a little more faith in me. The thought of never speaking to Alix again was overwhelming and it felt as though the crowd of people was going to suffocate me. I dashed out the large double doors I didn't care if anyone saw me being 'improper' I was already ruined anyway. I needed to run it was how I got through my emotions talking never worked for me. I needed to be alone with a stiff drink in my hand. As soon as I got back to my room I slammed the door behind me hard and I heard it echo off the hallway walls. I needed a break from all of it the rumors the lies the tragedies. I just wanted all the stress to just melt away I cannot even do this in sleep. Because I have nightmares every night about the rumors and it's like I'm holding my breath all throughout the day. I can barely eat I'm so nervous I can't focus on anything. I pondered all this as I sat in my armchair listening to the music drifting up from the party below. The music was so loud I barely heard when someone knocked on my door. God I just want to be left alone can no one understand that or must they bug me at every hour. I slowly opened the door to see George standing behind it. "You shouldn't be here." I said starting to panic if anyone saw this my relationships would be dead beyond repair. "We had an argument." I could tell from the tone of his voice that it was bad. I looked around the corners to make sure nobody was watching. "Come in quickly." I ushered him in and I thought I shut the door all the way but I didn't notice it was cracked slightly. He sat down in an armchair facing me. "What happened?" I asked with concern in my voice for my cousin and for my friend. "As soon as I got back" I held up up my hand to cut him off. He gave me a confused look. "Don't you want a drink?" God knows I need one I think to myself. He nodded at me and I poured to glasses of wine into goblets. By the time he finished telling me about the argument with Alice we were both half drunk. "Well that's just stupid." I said slowly slurring my words. "George was stupid too." I say looking off into the distance my eyes focusing on nothing in particular. "Who's George?" He turned to me and asked. "Just the kind of England." I say proudly. And he tilts his head back and laughs. "That's the father?" He said still laughing. "Mhm" I say matter of factly barely keeping in a giggle myself. "And do you know what I said to him?" I said taking another swig out of the bottle. My vision was fuzzy but I didn't care. "I said." I hiccuped in the middle of my sentence and he laughed at me. "I love you!" I said loudly. "Scarlett I'm flattered." I playfully shoved him. And this drinking and laughing went on all night.When I woke up the next morning my head was pounding and the sunlight was hurting my eyes. I heard someone muttering beside me and I rolled over to see George. I was so startled I screamed and rolled off the bed in a mess of sheets. I hit the ground hard and I couldn't fully process what was going on. "George why are you in my room?" I said rising to my feet and dusting myself off. "I woke up here!" Good God can't I get a break. I thought as I looked at him his face showed genuine fear. "We didn't-" I cut him off with a smack on the back of the head. "No of course not you big dummy." We were just drunk and we passed out." It seemed to have convinced him. I sat down in the armchair when all of a sudden Nicholas and Katherine burst in. I froze my eyes glued open. And I could see all the color drain from George's face.