Chapter 32: Alice

I watched as George exchanged a few words with Scarlett. We weren't going to stay long for the gathering afterwards since George was so ill and I was well, almost nine months pregnant. "Hello Grand Duchess Irina." I jumped by surprise, "Hello Grand Duke Boris" I greeted back. "I see that she has got to him" Boris says. "What?!"I ask.

"Well she has been talking about him nonstop for past few days, she was so excited when she heard that your husband had arrived. "That's-," but I was interrupted by him. "Very suspicious, yes indeed. Your feelings are valid, Irina. I myself am starting to wonder if she wants to be more then just friends with him. Do you not agree that their friendship seems unnatural? You don't see married men and women be as close as they are."

I looked back at George and Scarlett, the way that she was looking at him, laughing at whatever he was saying, the way that she places her hand on his arm. "I-I am sure that they are enjoying their conversation." I say, not sounding so sure anymore. "Whatever you say Grand Duchess" Boris says to me before leaving and joining their conversation.

I watched as Scarlett was starting to get angry at whatever Boris was saying. George was trying to calm her down but then Boris said something that made George turn to Scarlett. She stood silent as George said something to her while looking angry. He started to walk away and headed towards my direction.

"What is wrong my darling?" I asked him. "Nothing dear, let's just go to our room."he replied. I take his hand as he helps me up. We walk back to our room, retiring for the night.

***

I did not like being back in St Petersburg. It meant that I had to be away from my paradise with George. I sat with little Nicholas. He has already learned how to say Mama and Papa. That's all he repeats now a days. I was very thankful for Miss Wright. My Auntie Victoria sent her to me after I wrote to her. She was an English governess from London. I felt my eyes growing tired. "Let's go outside while your Mama gets some rest" Miss Wright said to little Nicholas.

Nicholas happily babbled while saying Mama again. "Thank you Miss Wright" I said to her while she took Nicholas from me and left the room. I walked over to the bed and laid down. Yesterday was Scarlett's sons christening. It was a long and a tiresome ceremony. George and I retired to our room after the ceremony again. Just as we did in Beatrice's ceremony a few months ago.

George was still quite ill but he kept insisting that he doesn't need a doctor. Our arguments would just end up with us not speaking to one another until one of us kissed each other because we hated fighting. We were going home tomorrow, that is all that mattered. Those words kept me comfort the whole time. I'll be back in our garden of Eden. My eyes felt heavy as I dozed off.

I woke up to the smell of something burning. I opened my eyes and stretched as much as I can. I looked around the room and everything seemed normal apart from that smell of burning. I walked over to the French doors of our room and grabbed onto the door handle, burning myself in the process. I jumped back as my burnt hand erupted in pain. I walked over to the dresser and got out a piece of cloth and opened the door, my eyes went wide as I found fire everywhere.

The building was burning.
And I was stuck inside.

The only exit was blocked by fire. It was starting to grow closer, I started to look around the room, to see if anything could help me make an escape, but nothing was there. The smoke of fire filled my lungs as I started to cough violently. What was I going to do? I was on the third story. I can't just jump out the window, I'm pregnant!

I looked out the window to see if there was anything possible for me to do but it was just a long drop down to the ground. Fear took over me as the fire grew closer and closer. I held onto my stomach, I started sobbing, "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry" I kept muttering as if the baby was going to hear me. I prayed that everyone was safe, I prayed that George and Nicholas were safe outside.

I felt the heat of the fire grow near, it was so hot that I felt my skin start to burn and my tears start to evaporate. I was scared, I was so scared that I was going to die. I held onto my stomach, "This wasn't supposed to happen" I whispered to my unborn child. "You were supposed to grow up and live your life, not die with me." Tears streamed down my face. I was curled in the corner of the room, waiting for my end when I heard someone call out my name. "Alice!" I heard the voice desperately call out, it was George.

"I'm here! I'm in the room!" I breathe out as much as possible without going into a coughing fit. I watched as George ran through the fire as quickly as possible. He took me into his arms, carrying me bridal style in his weak state. He ran with me down the stairs as quickly as he could, avoiding the flames as best as he could. We got to the exit of the place wing and ran for the outside. I held onto George tightly as the bright sun from the outside blinded me a bit.

When I opened them I noticed that we were the last ones out. Everyone surrounded us with worried faces, but everything they said was blocked out because the minute George put me down I went into a coughing fit and panic filled me when I felt water run down my legs, my water broke.