Chapter 16: Alice

"Scarlett" I call out with my 3 month old son in my arms. He was born on September 12, 1895, one of the most happiest days of my life. Scarlett has finally arrived! After months of absence and not hearing from her she is finally back. She was standing far away so I could not see her properly but as she walks closer I noticed a baby in her arms.

My jaw drops and I look at her silently, not just on the outside but on the inside as well. I refused to believe what Alix had told me. I thought someone saw the Tsar with some other woman, mistakenly thinking that it was Scarlett. As she stood in front of me I froze, taking her in. Her face had softened and she looked much more happier.

"Hello Alice," she greets me. I feel guilty because instead of greeting her back, I keep my eyes on the baby in her arms. I do love all children dearly but when I look at her son my blood turned cold, how could a cousin do this to another? I compose myself and take my eyes off her son, "It's nice to see you again Scarlett! Who is this lovely bundle of joy!"I falsely exclaim, knowing well who he was the product of.

"This is George Alexander! Say Привет to Auntie Alice!"she giggles, making baby George wave his hand to me as he laughs with his mother. I was taken back by Scarlett's smile, she has changed so much. " I know who this must be!" Scarlett exclaims at my son, Nicholas, named after the soon to be Tsar, George's elder brother. Scarlett was about to touch him when I stepped back. She gave me a confused glance.

If he was a normal baby I would have let her touch him, but he wasn't. He was not a normal baby, he was made of glass, I was not going to let anyone touch him because he will break. "So you have been getting my letters?"I bitterly ask her, she never wrote me back once. "I- Well, lets go inside, we don't want our boys catching colds."she excuses. I agree as we walk inside. "It has been such a long time Scarlett! Let's have a chat in my room" I suggest to her.

"Oh, okay,"she agrees. I lead her to the guest apartment that George and I are staying in. I put Nicholas down in his bassinet and close the door behind us. I offer to put George in an extra bassinet that I had packed. Scarlett agreed and I took it out and placed it next to her. She put her baby down and sat down at the round table with two chairs placed in the room. "Tea?" I offer her. "No thank you," she declines.

I was still standing, I looking down at her. "Do you remember when I asked you to be my witness?"I ask her. "Yes,"she responds confused, unsure of the direction the conversation is going. "Do you remember, how you judged me for every decision that I made?".
Scarlett keeps silent as I continue, "I remember that whenever we went shopping and you didn't have enough money for expensive things I always offered to pay for you. Remember what you told me? You don't want my pity money, that you didn't want charity. Always judging me, all I ever wanted to do was be your friend, to be someone there for you."

"Now when Alix tells me that you had an affair with her husband, do you know what my reaction was? I said that it couldn't be you. You would never do such a thing. But you surprise me Scarlett. All of our lives, I have been kind to you, I did not judge you. I never thought that you would do such a horrible thing. I can't believe what you did, adulterer, you home wrecker. You just couldn't have kept your hands off of him. Out of everyone, it had to be the man about to be Tsar. You just couldn't stand to be happy for her, could you?" I snap, much more harshly then I should have.

Scarlett stays silent, she quietly gets up and picks up little George in her arms, "Oh and Scarlett I hope you know to stay away from my husband as well, we don't want history repeating itself." I finish, releasing all of my anger. I stand looking out the window, I don't want to look at her. "Are you finished?"she asks, timidly. "Yes." I answer, feeling cruel. I hear the door slam shut, Scarlett left.

I hear Nicholas begin to cry in his bassinet. I gently scoop him up into my arms and sit in a rocking chair, gently rocking, hoping to calm him down. "The loud noise scared you, my love?" I whisper to him. It was as if my voice was a trigger, he stops crying and instead was looking at me, his little eyes searching for my familiar face. "Don't be afraid my love, no one will ever hurt you, you will be safe as long as your Papa and I are alive. My poor son." I mutter as he grabs onto my finger.

This day is going horrible, I think to myself. Scarlett, I was so horrible, I should have never said those horrible words even though she did a terrible thing. All my built up anger, sadness, and grief at the world was released on her.

I sit with my son, while I let my tears shed. He knew how to keep a secret, he wouldn't tell anyone about my tears. I gently kiss his forehead as his eyes started to grow tired, falling asleep. I sit with him, taking in every moment. He is so beautiful, so perfect. He is a beautiful outcome in this tragic world. He is the outcome of a man loving a woman and a women loving a man, through all of their faults and mistakes, the most sacred thing in the world, love.