Chapter 18: Alice

I was boiling in anger, Scarlett thought that she had my husband wrapped around her finger. I was not going to let that happen. He left me to talk with her. He left me and our baby, he knows how fragile Nicholas is. He knows what has become of me. The party had started and I decided that I would go back to my room since Nicholas was getting cranky and I was the only one that could watch him.

I sit down in my rocking chair and watch as my little baby falls asleep. I place him in his crib and exhaustedly sit down on the couch, stretching my legs. I wonder if George was thinking about me? I sigh in worry, I hope that he wouldn't deceive me. The party music was quite loud, you could almost hear it from our apartment.

I shut my eyes, finally a moment of silence, no stress, no crying, just silence. I hear the doors open and internally groan. I sit up to see George. "I was looking everywhere for you!"he tells me. "Nicholas got tired so we came here, are you sure that you weren't too busy speaking with Scarlett?"I bitterly say.

"My love what are you talking about?" He takes a seat next to me. "How could you go up to Scarlett when you know that I am at quarrel with her? She had betrayed Alix and had given her husband a son! She spent the night with Nicholas! She is an adulterer! You know exactly how angry I am with her!" I snap, keeping my voice down. "Alice, she did not sleep with my brother. I don't know who is the father but it is definitely not my brother."George whispers. "How do you know that it definitely wasn't him?"I cross my arms.

"Nicholas told me."
"George the world isn't black and white, there is something called lying. One look at her son and he is all your brother!" I point out. "Alice, I think I know my brother well enough that he would never do such thing."George objects. "Well it seems that you defend and protect Scarlett much more then me! Did she sleep with you as well?"I raise my voice, crossing my legs.

"Alice, why would that thought cross your head? Don't let jealously get the best of you! Do you think that I would let everything that we gave up go to waste? We went against our family's wishes and eloped! We survived a near death experience! I basically disobeyed my mother, giving up my relationship with her so we can be together!" He yells. My baby starts to cry, George had woken him up. I rush over to my son and start to gently bounce him in my arms. "If you miss your old life so much, maybe you should go back to it." I turn away from him, not being able to look at him with tears streaming down my face.

"Alice I-,"

"Just go!" I hold back sobs. I hear the door close shut, George had left. Nicholas had calmed down and I put him back down again. I sigh, letting my tears fall. I start to cry. How could he defend such a women? All my life she had judged me, and now instead of supporting me, George is defending her. I continue to cry, I cried long and hard. What did Scarlett have that I don't? She can have any man, but she can't stay away from my husband, just like she couldn't stay away from Sunny's husband. I hopelessly sit on the ground. I open a bottle of wine and drink the whole thing while being stuck in my thoughts.

I am so miserable, Victoria is probably disappointed in me. But I can't help feeling what I do. Scarlett has a healthy baby boy out of wedlock and I have a son made of glass, his life will never be normal. I am jealous of that, why can't my son have a normal life? Why is he the one that must suffer? I am also afraid, so frightened that he will fall in love with her instead and leave me behind.

I struggled to get off the ground, I am going to find my husband. I look over at my precious son, he is sound asleep. I call over a maid to watch him, telling her not to touch him at any time. I go around the palace, looking all over for him but he is no where to be seen. As I stumble past the guest rooms, I hear laughter. I keep quiet, noticing that the doors to one of the rooms were tilted a bit open .

I overhear voices and laughter, I recognize to whom they belong to. "I love you!"I hear Scarlett drunkenly confess. "Scarlett I-," I run away with tears in my eyes before I can hear my husband finish his sentence. Those words were enough to sober me up. I was right, he did love her. I gave him a life that he never wished for. I wasn't enough for him. I run back into my room, dismissing the maid. I throw random stuff into my suitcase and take baby Nicholas into my arms.

I run into Alix as I speed walk away from my room. She stops me, "Alice what is wrong?" I break down , I start sobbing. "Oh Alice," she says while , taking baby Nicholas into her arms. She leads me to her parlor room and sits me down. We have total privacy. I take out my arms, signaling that I want to hold my son. Alix gently gives him to me, he was in my arms once again, safe.

"Alice what happened?"Alix asks again. I calm down after my break down and explain to her my situation, "I heard her confess her love for him. She is in love with my husband. My husband lost interest in me after I gave him a sick son."I cry out. "Sick son?"Alix repeats. I brought a finger up to my lips, "It's a secret, no one must know." She nods her head, "He has our family curse, he has hemophilia." I tell her, with my voice shaking. "Oh Alice, I will never tell a soul, do not worry about Scarlett, something has to be done about her. We can't have a home wrecker around in court."Alix comforts, I hug her tightly, at least I could count on her.