Chapter 60: Alice

Everything is packed. Everything is packed as I stand still lost in thought, the world, people move around me as I stand still, still as a doll. The children are with the governesses as everything is ready for our trip back to Russia. Sadly Sunny couldn't make it to the funeral, pity for her at least she attended mass I heard, poor girl gets weaker and weaker during every pregnancy.

"Your imperial highness" a small voice breaks my train of thought as I turn around from the window to look over at the small British maid girl. "Yes?" I say. She shrinks back, muttering something. "Speak up" I demand annoyed at her as she keeps her blue eyes glued to the ground, "The carriage is ready, your imperial highness" she says clearly this time, yet still quietly. I straighten out the skirt of my dress as I walk past her out of the room, not bothering to say anything to her.

I walk outside to where my children are already with their governesses, getting into the second carriage as I walk to mine. A footman opens the door for me as I get. Once the door is shut the carriage starts moving and we are off to the docks where we will heading to our ship. I look out the window, watching the commoners. I watch as a young couple walk together with a small child, the way he smiled at his wife, the way she looked up at him. The image of George burned into my mind of once we had a happy life like that but now its gone forever. 

I will never see him, hug him, kiss him, speak to him, hold him, he is never coming back... and now I am alone. I take my gaze away from the window as I think about Nickie. He is getting older, more active, more into society, I must be more cautious and watchful of him. Alix is with child, her fourth one, due in the summertime. So far girls only, society is restless for her to have a boy. Patience is key which is something mostly no one has. God will give them a boy when he decides to, we can not alter his decision. 

I shut my eyes as George appears in my mind again, holding me in his arms while we are in the garden together, alone. For privacy we would always go to the gardens. I smile to myself as I think of the time ants bit our ankles and in how much pain we were in. That night we stayed with cold cloth wrapped around our poor ankles. I feel as if I am back in the garden, the chilly breeze, George holding my hands, our close proximity. The carriage stops and I open my eyes. The door opens for me, I stand up and step out of the carriage. 

I turn to see my children arrive as Nickie's governess steps out, helping him out, then helping my other children out. My attention is quickly snapped away as Grand Duke Michael, Georges brother comes up to me. "Hello my dearest" he smiles at me. I turn to look at him with a friendly smile. He has been so kind to me, offering me help financially, offering to spend time with the children. A pity that he hasn't found a wife for such a kind soul as himself. 

He offers me his arm, "Shall we?" I take it as we walk up to the steps to get onto the ship. "How was your morning today Alice?" he asks me. "It was as uneventful as usual, children fussing and all" I reply simply. He laughs at my response. "You know Nicholas misses you very much, he was very sad when it was time for bed since he wanted to continue spending time with you" I tell him. Michael smiles, "Today is a new day, we will have plenty of time to have fun aboard the ship home."

I smile sadly, "Thank you Michael, thank you for looking after them." I look out at the people below us, "You know how difficult it has been" I say quietly.  I don't look at him as I hear him sigh, "I know Alice, I know"

"Mama!" I hear my son exclaim. I turn around and smile as my Nickie runs up and hugs me. "hello my love"I take him up into my arms, my precious baby, "Oh my you are getting so big" I tell him. He giggles, wrapping his arms around my neck, "Uncle Mimi!" he giggles while looking at Michael. I let Michael take Nickie from me as I see Miss Wright pushing Miss Evelyn to come forward. 

"Go on"I hear Miss Wright say to Miss Evelyn as I watch guards walk around frequently with ladies in waiting. My shift back to Miss Evelyn she looks up at me with tears in her eyes,

 "Georgiana is missing"

My heart drops, "What?" I say in disbelief. Miss Evelyn breaks down crying as Miss Wright explains, "miss evelyn set down georgiana for one moment and now she is missing, all the staff are looking for her your grace" My ears turn red as my heart is about to leap out of my chest. Victoria went missing inside the palace, Georgiana went missing out in the open world. 

Anger bubbled within me but I had to push it aside, I need to look for my baby girl.