Chapter 9: Scarlett

The sunlight was shining through my window waking me up. My eyes fluttered open adjusting to the sunlight streaming into the room. I looked to my right and George was still asleep next to me. Panic started to set in what had I done? He was married and the king for Christ's sake. I slipped on my robe and started pacing the room my Anxiety bubbling up inside of me. My reputation could be ruined what if I was with child. I had to sit down in my armchair because I felt like I could faint. And when someone knocked on the door I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I walked to the door pulling my robe tightly across me and I opened the door a crack. "May I help you?" I asked him politely and I realized it was the man I had seen with Katherine the night of the ball. "I am looking for Katherine your cousin. Is she here?" He asked with a French accent as he tried to look through the crack in the door. "No she's not here right now." I said hurriedly and then all of a sudden a soft snore came from inside the room. My eyes went wide with fear. "Is that her?" He asked me. "Have a nice day." I said and quickly shut the door in his face. Damn it! What had I gotten myself into my reputation was already bad enough without people finding out I'm having an affair with the king of England. I decided to wake him up I knew it was rude but he needed to leave. Now. Before anyone else could come a knocking. "Please get up." I said as nicely as I could my patience was running out and my nerves were fried. He rose and propped himself up on the pillow. "You need to leave please." My eyes pleading but he looked dumbfounded. "You have to leave because your a king and I'm a bastard and my reputation is bad enough." I said with a sigh. Once he was finished dressing I pushed him out the door before he could get a word in edgewise. I thought I saw something move in the shadows but I brushed it off as a rat or something. I shut the door and sank down to the floor this was supposed to be a fresh start and now you've just messed it all up. I told myself mentally as I got dressed. Just as I was about to leave to go to Alix's room a page was at my door getting ready to knock. "Her majesty requests to see you in her chambers." Oh no I'm going to get dismissed from court and live in disgrace for the rest of my life. I silently followed the page to Alix's chambers and I was the second there besides Alice. What was she doing here did she know? Then Katherine came in sniffling. Katherine too? Was she that disappointed in me that she was crying? Then Alix started to speak. My heart was racing. "I am afraid that our dear auntie Katherine's mother has died." Katherine burst out into fresh tears and Alice was comforting her. What? Her mother had died? This wasn't about me? Then I felt remorse this wasn't about stupid me Katherine's mother died you don't matter in this situation. Even though I felt horrible about making it about me I barely managed to hold in a relieved laugh. Katherine and Alice went off somewhere to comfort each other and I went to my little garden to be alone and ponder everything that's happened so far in the span of what and hour? What is wrong with me? Tragedy follows me everywhere and brings pain to everyone around me. All of the memories of my mother dying started flooding back to me and I started crying. I felt how bad Katherine must feel I hated myself for crying it wasn't about me but i couldn't stop it. I hadn't cried since my mother died it was like all of my tears were sucked out of me. I stood up and decided to go see Katherine maybe she would need me even though she already had Alice. As I approached I saw The man who came to my door this morning talking to Alice. Why was he talking to her I thought he was looking for Katherine. I entered Katherine's room and saw her crying in her bed facing away from the door. "Katherine?" I asked as I sat down on the bed next to her she rolled over to look at me and her eyes were red rimmed and her nose was raw. "Have you come to mock me in my darkest hour?" She snapped at me. I was dumbfounded did she really think I would do that it was it just the grief? "No of course not" I say softly reaching my hand out to touch her. "Get out!" She yelled at me. I stood up and almost stumbled out the door distraught. Was I really that horrible? I was just trying to comfort her as Alix had comforted me when my mother had died. I heard Alice tell me to wait but I didn't I just kept walking.