Chapter 11: Scarlett

I walked back to my room devastated. What had I done wrong? Was I too harsh? When I got back into my room I looked out the window in hopes nature would make me feel better but instead it made me feel worse. I saw the palace doors opening and a woman walking out of them slowly and getting into a carriage. No! She cannot leave like this I must speak with her. I race down out the door and down the stairs as fast I possibly could. I got to the palace gates at a record breaking time. But I was too late. The carriage was but a dot in the snowy landscape I knew I couldn't catch up with it. I slowly walked back to my room but before I even got back into the palace I hurled into the bushes in the front. It's just nerves. I told myself even though I wasn't so sure myself. When I got back to my room it was a mess. Like a hurricane had wrecked it but when I left this morning it was Spic and span. I started pacing around the room was someone looking for something? Why me I hadn't made any enemies at court and no one knew what happened last night except George. Then the world started spinning around me so much I had to sit down in my armchair. Luckily I was able to get myself together and get ready for dinner. As I walked down to the dinner hall someone grabbed me and pulled me into the shadows. I tried to scream but whoever it was was covering my mouth. I tried kicking and I tried to break free but they were to strong. They pushed me up against the wall and started speaking. "Listen I don't know what your game is but if you ever hurt Alix or Kate I myself will arrest you for treason. It's not hard to make evidence." My heart was beating as if it was trying to escape my chest and my eyes were wide with fear. I nodded furiously. "If you ever tell anyone I threatened you I will ruin you." They snarled. I recognized the voice but at first I couldn't remember but then it hit me like a train. The man from this morning! He was looking for Katherine I must warn her that someone might be after her. He let me go and I ran down the hall almost tripping over myself in order to get to the dining hall. I burst in and everyone was staring at me. Damn it I was late again. I bowed low and took my place at the end of the table. When my favorite dish came around I took one whiff of it and almost threw up again. What was the matter with me? Am I ill? As soon as dinner was over all I wanted was to go to sleep but Alix called me to her rooms. As soon as I got there and I bowed low. "Your majesty" And she raised me I thought it was strange that she didn't tell me not to call her that since she hated titles. And for some reason she looked upset. Had I done something wrong? It seemed like everyone was upset with me today. "Will you please fetch that box for me cousin?" She said pointing to a small ornate box on her dresser. What was she doing? She hated ordering people around and she never ever called me cousin not even when we first came to Russia. "Open it it's for you. Katherine left it for me but now I'm giving it to you." She said coolly with a bitter edge in her voice. My eyes started to fill with tears I don't know why but for some strange reason I missed Katherine. I was never close with her but she was always nice to me without trying to hard like Alice always did. As I opened the box a tear slid down my face it was Katherine's mother's broach. I didn't deserve this she probably hated me anyway. All I could manage to say was thank you to Alix and I backed out the room. As I walked back to my room for the night tears once again threatened to spill over today was to much. I messed up someone might be looking to harm Katherine and now she's gone before I could even warn her. When I got back to my room I slipped on my nightgown and sat down to write a letter to Katherine. Dearest Katherine I hope this letter finds you in good health and I am sorry we did not get to say goodbye to each other. I do not know why you are angry with me but I hope that one day we can go back to how things were. Love, your cousin Scarlett. I sealed the letter and decided to mail it in the morning. As I was getting into bed I heard someone knock on the door. Good grief couldn't I go one night without a knock? I thought as I answered it. It was Alice. "Can we talk?" She said timidly.