Chapter 42: Alice

I arrive at the manor's gloomy gates. No one but the staff to greet me as I arrive, wearing a black gown. I'm glad that Auntie Victoria lended me one, I'm most grateful for her. I hope that my children and Georgie are doing well, I hope Scarlett is finally away from that evil contained in human skin. The carriage stops and a servant opens the door for me, "Baroness Alice" he bows. I haven't heard that title for so long now, I'm Irina to everyone back in Russia. I don't correct the boy, I just nod my head in gratitude as I get out of the carriage.

I look up at the manor, it's much more gloomy then I remember, again it's a somber occasion. I walk up to the manor doors as servants open it for me, greeting me with condolences. I enter the manor and immediately I spot father walking down the stairs, "Stern!" He greets me with a sad smile, he gives me a hug and I can feel his tired and sorrowful soul, he misses mama. "Hello papa" I says quietly, "how have you been?" I pull away from the hug. "I've been better, but tell me about you, I have grandchildren I've heard" he smiles sadly.

"I brought pictures of them for you" I say. Papa doesn't look at me, "I will look later, Betty is here if you wish to see her, Carl as well"
"I will go say hello later" I tell him. "In the letter I got from you, you said that Mama wanted to tell me something before she passed" I look at him feeling anxious and my papa seems the same way. "I'll tell you after dinner" he says, walking to the dining hall. I follow him and find my siblings already at the table with their children and spouses.

The silence and the uncomfortable mood of the room made me want to disappear.  "Alice" Beatrix breaks the silence. "Beatrix" I say politely with a small smile. Carl doesn't care for my presence, his wife whispers something into his ear as I feel her eyes on me. "Come sit" papa motions for me. I sit down in my seat. My nieces and nephews sit around the table, the younger ones at least, the ones my age are probably coming for one day only.

"How are you Alice?" Beatrix asks, before I can say anything I get cut off by my brother, "Grand Duchess" he snickers, "You really made your way to the top, marrying the next in line to the Russian throne." I knew he meant this as an insult, my brother is never happy with anything he has, always bitter, always wanting more and to be better, he can't stand it that I have a higher title and position then him, his youngest sister, a mistake.

I ignore him and smile at Beatrix, "I'm well" I reply. "How are your children, I hope to meet them one day" she says. I smile at her, "George and I would love to have you visit one day"
Carl snickers drinking whiskey. Papa stays quiet, eating dinner, "Carl that's enough"
Carl starts to angry, "When are you going to tell her?" He snaps. I look between them, "Tell me what?" Beatrix stays quiet looking down at her plate, papa freezes as Carl shouts out, "That you are Victoria's daughter"

The room goes silent, I sit still, my heart pounding, about to fall out of my chest, "what?!" I say loudly. "Alice listen-,"Papa starts but I cut him off, "what are you talking about?! What are you saying?" I stand up. "Alice-," Beatrix starts but I cut her off, "You knew this?! You knew this and never told me?!" Tears start to stream down my face. "Victoria never married!" I say. "Yeah you are a bastard" Carl snickers, "Carl enough!" Papa shouts.

I'm a bastard, more tears stream down my face, I run out of the dining room and into a random unoccupied bedroom.  My whole life was a lie, a lie! I take out my locket with a picture of Victoria- my, my- I can't even say it. "How could you!" I tell at the picture And throw it across the room, not sure where it landed. I cry, I cry for a long time. I hear a knock on the door and ignore it.

The door opens and I hear familiar footsteps, Beatrix. I don't look up at her, I hear her walk over to a part of the room before sitting down next to me. "Alice I- I'm so sorry" she says quietly. I stay quiet and just listen, "Victoria- she got pregnant on her trip to England, we never knew who your father really is or was because she never wanted to mention him." Beatrix pauses and continues although I know she is waiting for a reaction from me.