Chapter 68: Alice

St Petersburg 1913
In the end I did not need to speak with Victoria as for the past few weeks she has been staying home. She hasn't visited Scarlett once. Nicholas has been at Scarlett's more often ever since george has arrived. Multiple times Nicholas would ask Victoria if she was going to go with him but she always said no. I am happy at the fact that I didn't need to speak to her about it. Charity work has been keeping me very busy, most nights I return home very late. Victoria goes with me all the time now. I am quite satisfied with her behavior now. Maybe I will even let her come to a ball with me.

I snap out of my thoughts as Alexander arrives. He has been gone almost all week. His behavior has been Despicable going out all night talking back to me claiming that he is always right in our arguments. I look about him I can smell the alcohol. I look at his dirty clothes almost looking like rags right now. This is the last straw, "where were you? What did you do?" I ask sharply. He stands there chuckling still probably drunk, " I went to pray" he says with Sarcasm. I stand up enraged, how dare he joke about praising our God? His father would've been so disappointed in him.

The Lord that gave him this comfortable life, a family, food, clothes on his back, and this is how he repays him? with cruel jokes? this is the last straw. The lord will punish him. I've already spoken to Marie about this. Alexander is going away to Denmark with his grandmother in hopes of being calmed down if he won't listen to me he will have to listen to her Denmark will do good for him it won't be Russia. " Walter let Anya know that Alexander will need two trunks for his belongings" I state calmly as he bows and walks out of the room.

Alexander stands across from me with a face of shock, "What are you doing to do? Send me away to some boarding school?" He snaps as he takes a drink. I stand looking at the filth in front of me that is my son. A religious centered school would do him well but that is a last resort as his Grandmama was persistent on helping him first. If he comes back from Denmark with the same behavior then I will have him at religious school.

"You are going away to live with your grandmama. If you won't listen to me then maybe you will listen to her and shape up." I say coldly. I've had enough patience with him over the years. I motion for Ella, our maid to take Alexander and help fix up his appearance. Alexander goes without protest as he is too drunk and in disbelief that after years of threatening to send him away that it actually happened. His father would be so disappointed in him and his behavior.

I shut the door and sit by the window taking out a cigarette and lighting it as I open the window to blow out the smoke. Why can't my children be more like my precious Nicholas? My poor baby had a bad attack and is now in best rest and had been in bed for two weeks. Father Grigori says to keep him there until god gives a sign not to. The doctors come but rarely as they always go against father Grigori's holy words. The doctors aren't helping him, but father Grigori is. I can care less about the public's opinion on it. I know what my son needs more then them.

I put out my cigarette as I sit back into my office chair and read the newest copy of the paper. Of course Victoria is on the cover, they call her Russia's little gem ever since she made one public appearance. The public loves her, but that doesn't matter, what matters is her role in helping in charity and dedicating her life to the church. That is what she needs most. I read the article and it's false rumors about Victoria as I hear a knock at the door. I look up and see George's mother, Marie. "Hello mama" I say respectfully as I stand up and now. She sits down with her cane supporting her.

"Is Alexander ready?" She asks. "Let me ask Walter" I ring for him. He comes to me, "Yes your grace?" He bows. "Is Alexander's belongs ready?" I ask him. "Yes your grace" he answers. "Is he cleaned up?" I ask. "Yes Ella has put him in clean clothing and he took a bath" Walter reports. Walter is really one of the best staff I have. He never makes any mistakes and gets things done. I would be lost without his help. I appreciate him dearly.

"I need you to bring him and his belongings-," but he cuts me off. "I had his trunks loaded to the Empress's carriage and Ella was sent to retrieve him and they are right here" he says as Alexander walks up with Ella supporting his balance. Alexander stays silent not looking at me as I hear Marie's voice behind me. "Let's get going" she moves past me as she walks ahead to her carriage as Ella follows with Alexander. I stand in front of my house doors with Walter next to me and Ella helps Alexander into the carriage. He doesn't look back at me and gets in with his grandmother.

I hope that Denmark shapes him up. The carriage drives off as I watch it leave the gates. I go back inside and go straight to my Nickie's room. My poor baby has been napping all day today, tired from the dreadful illness. I open the door to find him awake. He looks exhausted. His hair is disheveled, he has dark bags under his eyes and his skin is as pale as slow. The only color left is his bright lips and his blue eyes have lost their spark. I sit down next to him and take his clammy cold hand.

"How are you my baby?" I kiss his forehead. "I feel better" he says weakly. I know that's a lie. He doesn't want to admit it that he feels worse but it's going to be alright. Father Grigori will help him. "I heard mumbling outside my room and why did Alex say goodbye?" Nicholas asks, barely having his eyes open. "He is going away for sometime my love" I stroke his hair. Nicholas nods his head gently too tired to ask more questions. "Will he be back?" He asks above a whisper. "Yes" I kiss his hand, my poor baby.

"I hope he feels better" Nicholas mutters. "Yes I hope he comes back and behaves properly like you my love"I hold his hand close. He frowns, "No Mama, he is heartbroken". I look at him confused, "Heart broken?". He nods his head gently, "He is in love with Maria but they can never marry. Maria told him that he will forever be her good friend." Nicholas tells me. This is news to me, but still this doesn't excuse his behavior. I stand up and kiss Nicholas's forehead, "rest my love" I say and let him rest. I get out of the room and quietly shut the door behind me. I check my watch and see that in an hour I have charity to attend to.

I call for Victoria and we both leave for church in our spare time.