Chapter 61: Scarlett

January-September, 1901

I stand as Licy sits squirming in my lap, The sun beating down on both of our faces and her warm body leaning against my chest. I can hear Duckies giggles From afar as Michael chases him through out the golden fields around us. "Mama let me play," Licy keeps squirming in my lap until She wrenches free from me and runs over too Michael, "Hello My darling!" He grins and picks her up kissing her on the forehead as Duckie runs and sits on my lap, "Mama, Will he stay with us forever?" He looks up at with his big eyes as I watch Misha chasing Licy as she giggles, "Of course My Duckie," I kiss his forehead gently I bolt up in bed and immediately Feel George's arms wrap around my waist, "Darling, It's alright, Just another nightmare," He moves hair from my neck as I breathe heavily, Michael? I almost laugh at myself, Why am I dreaming about that hopelessly besotted love sick puppy? He must remind me of George, I reassure myself as I think of him, But a pang Of nothing hits me. Nothing? I love Him even if he is gone, How can I feel nothing? "I-I have to go," I get up and toss my nightgown over my bare body filled with marks from George's lips "What is it my love?" He props himself up on one arm and asks with concern, He's been worried all week about today. If I'll go with Back to Russia with Duckie, I refuse to say anything about it, He'll just try to stop me from going. "I have to go See Our son," I lie and plait my hair quickly I just need some fresh air as thoughts of the dreams fill my head. "I'll come with you," He starts sitting up but I press my lips to his "You have duties," I open the door and rush out before he can say anything else. Nothing. How can I feel nothing for George? I race down the hallways to the nursery as these thoughts race in my head, I desperately think of the times we had together, Riding over the open fields, Laughing, Dining together. And nothing but a pang of nostalgia hits me. No, I swore to always love him it can't be going, It simply can't he was my true love. I practically run into the nursery and my Duckie runs up to me, "Mama! We are going home today!" He reaches for me to pick him up as I take in his scent of powder and rose water, How could I be falling out of love of the man that was a father to him? I can't be. I run my hand through his silky golden hair as he rests his cheek on my shoulder "Right this afternoon my love," I whisper in his ear as he hugs me tightly his stuffed elephant held tightly in the crook of his arms "Do I say goodbye to father?" He kisses my cheek, My sweet precious boy so perfect, "Later my love, I have to pack first," I say almost guiltily, I had no intention of saying goodbye to him, It'll be better is we just go. I turn around and bump into someone looking directly up into their eyes, Icy blue ones staring kindly at me with A twinkle in them and for a moment I'm lost in them "Natasha, Nice to see you here," He smiles a flashingly white smile at me before I jerk out of it and realize That's Michaels the one standing before me holding Nicholas's hand. "Oh, Excuse me," I flush slightly as I realize that I'm still in my satin nightgown "Nickie!" Duckie starts squirming in my arms to be let down "Hello Georgie!" Nickie waves at him happily as I let George down "I have to pack," I say to Michael, I don't know why I'm explaining why I have to go or what I have to do to him, He's just another lovesick admirer. "Of course, I'll watch your son for you," He smiles at me kindly and locks eyes with me for a second. His gaze is so intense it makes me frozen in place as I stare back, I've never realized that he has flecks of his green in his eyes. All of a sudden he moves away to follow the children and I almost fall forward. What is wrong with me? "Stupid dream" I mutter under my breath and shake off that stupid blush on my face as I walk back to my room and Start Packing the things into my trunk, I don't trust the maids with all the fine things I've acquired, Especially sentimental things. Hours go by as I immerse myself in packing, I wonder what George's reaction will be when he's found out we've left I wonder as I hear the door open and assume it's just a maid coming into to change the sheets "Scarlett," I hear him say and my blood runs cold, George. He's not supposed to be here, Me and Duckie we're supposed to leave without saying goodbye, "What are you doing?" He walks towards me and I pull myself to my full height standing two inches taller then him, "Packing to go home," I turn back to packing hopefully he'll leave without this blowing into a fight, "We can write to each other all the time, George is getting very good at reading," I laugh as if it's a joke, But I know he's not going to let me go without a fighting chance "You're going to separate me from my son?!?" He yells at me and I look at him, He's always been so gentle I couldn't have imagined him raising his voice before this. "You can come and visit anytime," I say, "I can give you so much more, I care about you when nobody else does!" He takes a step towards me and I ball my fists at my side, What the hell does he mean? No one cares about me? "What?" I say through gritted teeth, How dare he insult me like this "You know what I mean, Alix thinks you gave her husband a son and Alice knows you were in love with hers, I can give you so much more," He says, How dare he! He knows nothing about me and my family, Before I know it bring my hand up and smack him across the face as hard as I can, "This is what you do to get me too stay? Insult my family?" I yell at him, If he truly loved me he wouldn't say such things ever. "When you're here breaking my heart yes! You used me Scarlett, Get out," He snaps and grabs my arm but I wrench it away "What the hell is wrong with you?" I yell, "This is my room," I turn back to my and Duckies packing as fast as I can I have no desire to stay here for any longer then I need too, "You're just as bad as your husband," He snaps at me and something in my just snaps, The years of abuse, The rape, Everything and He compares me too that devil on earth?!??? Before I know what I'm doing I spin around and kick him in the crotch, "DONT YOU EVER COMPARE ME TOO HIM!" I scream at him and storm out of the room with my temper overflowing.