Put your dress back on! (50)

Leo's p.o.v the night of the party:

By the time we got to the car, she had somehow already fallen asleep in my arms. I never really understood why people watched other people sleep, it always seemed creepy to me. But as I looked at her lying in my arms, there was an innocence to her that reminded me of why I liked her.

But I opened the car door and placed her down carefully in the back seat and the minute she touched them the water started to soak into my seats and her wet hair stuck to the side of her face. I gently pushed it out of her face and shut the car door getting into the driver's. Lucas was gonna kill me.

I turned on the car engine and heaters and set off, quiet and the darkness surrounded the car spreading far across the city.

"You know you looked so pretty tonight," Jess mumbled and I jumped I hadn't even noticed she woke up or for how long she had been awake.

"You shouldn't have worn a white top." She giggled. But I kept silent, the lump in my throat forbidding me to talk.

"You know back when you didn't know me I had a crush on you, something about the way you looked and carried yourself. I always thought about what it would be like to be in your life and then when I saw you there, dripping wet from head to toe after you jumped in to save me." She chirped with a sloppy smile. "I felt like that feeling was happening all over again. Your soft blonde hair was brown and your shirt was showing your whole chest. you're beautiful blue eyes staring at me with so much pain and kindness all at the same time." She paused. " It felt like I was in a movie."

I smirked trying to hide the stinging in my chest. "You are so wasted."

"Im sorry Leo. About what I said, how I said it. The truth is I do want to be with Lucas but, I still want you in my life, you mean so much to me I only acted the way I did because I was angry. But when I did what I did. Well," She paused again. Like the words, she was about to say were like poison. "I felt just like my mum."

I had nothing to say. I didn't know what to say. all I could do was swallow down my guilt.

"She was so abusive. Always screaming at me throwing things at me. I never did tell you why I was living with Lucas, did I?"

I just shook my head. I just assumed it was to help Lucas catch the mafia. I never really thought much into it. It wasn't like she was the only one who lived there.

"It was because my mum started to assault me." She said the words quietly, her eyes foggy as if she was reliving those moments and I took a deep breath, trying to keep focused on the road, "And when Lucas found out, he did his best to protect me. He let me stay in his apartment complex. He gave me comfort and adventures. He made me feel alive. He took away my grief and gave me something to live for. Something that wasn't daydreaming and what-ifs. Something that was real and when I first met you I thought that you were exactly what you seemed like. The cocky popular guy who doesn't care who he hurts as long as he gets what he wants. But you're not and I'm sorry." She mumbled still slurring her words.

"It's fine Jess."

"No, no it's not I fucked up. I majorly fucked up."

"You know, I've never heard you swear before tonight," I smirked.

"That's 'cause I'm drunk." She laughed.

"Oh, so you admit it?"

"Sur-" But she didn't get to finish because she was cut off by throwing up. All over the floor of my car.

"Oh god."

"Im sorry." She mumbled. Drowsy and sleepy.

I shook my head looking into my back mirror to see her laying down with a slight smile on her face and her eyes closed.