Aimed personally. (71)

Jess's pov modern day:

Guilt sizzled through me, and I couldn't help when my hands rested over my mouth, I couldn't even imagine having to watch something so horrific.

But somehow telling the story had sobered Gray, like a soldier he pulled himself together quickly, with each passing second he became less and less vulnerable.

We both sat against the wall staring at the ceiling, his skin was still flushed and the edge of his eyes were still a little red as he gripped his leg.

"After, since I was still technically owed leadership but couldn't lead at 13 I was allowed to choose people to take charge while my spot waited for me, so I chose Angelo and Bruno since there wasn't anyone else I trusted."

"Damn." I hugged my legs, speechless tucking my head I'm behind my arms, somehow I felt unsafe and I wasn't even the one who had to go through that.

"I'm fine now." Gray swallowed. "But thank you, love." He nodded and looked towards me now and I looked back at him, suddenly his scar was more obvious, and knowing that it was the man who was supposed to care for him and look out for him who did it made something in my stomach curdle.

But sat here, being this close to him I realised how handsome he was, I never wanted to admit it, but he was beautiful, even after just breaking down. Everything about him was perfect, even the scar and even though something in my gut knew this was wrong, that he was a terrible person and Lucas was still bashed up and bruised by the man who sat in front of me. For the first time, I didn't fear him and I didn't hate him.

In fact, something about him made me want to be near him, want to mean something to him. Maybe that's what I hated. I hated how my eyes flickered to his lips, how something inside me wanted to get closer.

"You should get some sleep." Gray turned away, and suddenly he seemed back to his usual self, threatening and demanding.

"I can't sleep," I mumbled resting my head on my knees.

He was silent for a minute and then he stood up offering out his hand. "Then go to bed and I'll keep you company while you fall asleep."

I looked at his hand, my mind flickered back to the first time we had met, to when he offered it out to me and we danced, I remember wondering how many people those hands had killed but now I knew it was far more than I could ever imagine. But I swallowed down my fear, taking it hesitantly and as his finger wrapped around the edge of my palms, gripping my hand tightly as he pulled me up electricity sparked up me and I let go quickly after and then I plopped down on my bed.

He sat on the armchair in my room leaning one arm on the rest and leaning his head on his hand. His other hand resting on his leg. The room was dark with the only light from the hallway that shone on him directly and when my throat went dry I shut my eyes to stop myself from staring.

But I didn't feel tired, not in the slightest.

"Gray?" I mumbled making sure to keep my eyes shut.

"Mhm."

"If you could leave this business, would you?"

There was silence for a bit and I thought he wasn't going to answer.

"No."

I shot up with a surprised look, one minute he complains he didn't choose this life, and the next he says he wants it anyway.

"Because if I did it would mean everything that happened would be for nothing and I could never do that to my family's memory, I may not have chosen this life but I'm bound to it now, until the day I die, this is my responsibility."