I'm glad. (42)

There standing in my doorway was Leo Thompson His blue eyes blazing in the sunlight.

I opened my mouth hoping that something would come out but, nothing. I couldn't say anything so I stood to the side and nodded pulling the door open so he could come in. The minute he sees the house his eyes go wide.

"You lived in this dump?!"

I couldn't help but feel chills up my spine as those words came out of his mouth, and an overwhelming sense of embarrassment and awkwardness came over me but all I could do was brush it off. So I just shut the door and plopped on the couch kicking the cans away from my feet.

He plopped down next to me twiddling his thumbs. I hadn't said anything to him since that day we kissed and I wasn't in the mood to.

Defeated I just laid down resting my head in his lap looking up at him.

He had a cute smile on his face which was shadowed by his weariness around me that was different with Lucas, when it was Lucas it felt like he was walking on eggshells around me, but instead, with Leo, it felt like he was just finding the right words to say

"You never texted or called after yesterday."

"I wanted to talk to you in person," I mumbled.

"Makes sense," He said fiddling with a strand of my mousy blonde hair. "Hey, are you okay?" He asked understanding it was a touchy subject.

I felt my eyes go a little watery."Im not sure. Should I be?"

He dropped the strand of hair in his hand."Of course not Jess. She's your mum."

"That's the thing, she never acted like one. Part of me mourns her. Just wishes she was here.-" I stop myself I don't want to carry on.

"And the other part of you?" He asks.

"The other part of me is relieved and I feel so guilty. She's my mum how could I ever feel such a way! Im an awful pers-"

"No, your not." He cuts me off. "Look I don't know much about your mum or what she did to you but I know it must have been pretty terrible considering she drove you out of your childhood home to go live with some douche. I mean look at this place. I've been here for less than 5 minutes and I can already see the type of person she was. If someone makes you feel like shit for your whole life how are you supposed to pretend it just never happened." He said it meaningfully like he believed every word of it.

"No matter what she did it still doesn't change the fact that she was my mother," I mumble.

"Exactly she was your mother and she still didn't treat you better. She didn't act like your mother so why treat her like she was." He shrugged.

"My mum wasn't always a terrible person," I say looking up at him and he looks back at me with sympathy. "Not that I remember much about it but back at the beginning I had a happy childhood. My mum and dad were in love and they loved me and we were happy." I look past Leo at the ceiling trying to remember those times.

"So how did it all go downhill, I mean do you remember anything before you're Dad disappeared?" He asked.

"My dad got a new job and my mother and him fell apart because of it they would always argue and im pretty sure he used to hit her though I don't know for sure because he never did it in front of me and she wouldn't talk about it. But when he disappeared, People in the town started saying my mum had murdered him for revenge and it drove her insane especially because she still loved him. So she turned to alcohol, she refused to believe he was dead so she went around acting like they broke up and he left pretending like him disappearing never even happened. I guess it was her way of coping."