Lucas Allard. (1)

My lungs singed at the pressure of my rushed footsteps as I ran for my life. Just yesterday I was sitting in my bed grovelling over how boring my life was, the things I would do now to be back there, instead of being here, running from murderers with a possible murderer. Bullets flew past us as he pulled me along, hand wrapped around my wrist tightly. It's funny how you can go from not existing to a person to suddenly being in a life-or-death situation with one, but this is where my life has taken me.

To think this is all happening because of a grumpy teacher, a snarky comment, and a dare. Well at least that's some of the reason.

It's funny though, because when I walk through the halls of school you would have thought I was a walking near-death experience myself because unfortunately, I wasn't invisible, that wasn't a gift I was blessed with, instead I had eyes that followed me everywhere, whispers and dirty looks. My name spread across the school like some sort of deadly disease killing off the planet. Like I said, to the people in my school, I'm a walking near-death experience.

So yesterday, when I accidentally bumped into Maria Bray, I shouldn't have been surprised by her reaction.

But I was.

Maria Bray is beautiful, to put it bluntly, she knows that, I know that, the whole school knows that. She's a pretty, popular, confident Latina. I'm sure if her parents weren't so old money, she'd be modelling right now in some skincare advert and this school would be rid of her. But unfortunately for me, that was not the case.

The tangy echo of bullets bouncing against the floor, barely missing us each time reminded me of the disgust in her voice, how her words echoed in my head the same way.

The second I bashed into her; her pedicured hands frantically pushed me away in distaste as she looked at me as if I was some bug.

"Watch where you're going you fucking idiot." She hissed, "God, your so fucking annoying."

I took her words in my head as I ran and found myself looking at my feet as they landed on the wet shiny floor making little splashes underneath them, though the floor was Slippy and each time I thought my legs might crumble beneath me, they surprised me as they continued to carry me with speed, though I suppose they didn't really have a choice.

I smirked to myself, how ironic that the last words I thought of before I die would be the words of that bratty, basic girl.

But to sum it up, that was my life, basic.

I blinked back the sting in my eyes, no. That wouldn't be the last thing I thought of. So, I thought of something better, I thought of my best friend.

I thought of how after that awful encounter with Maria, I heard her voice.

"Jesssss!"

I was so close to freedom, to the doors of the school, it was finally the end of the day and, God was I desperate to get out.

"I know you can hear me!"

I huffed, kissed goodbye to my freedom, then stopped beside the door and let Emily catch up to me.

"What happened? It can't be true, did you really spit on Maria? Everyone is so angry at you. It's amazing. Well, not the fact that everyone is angry at you. I mean..." I looked at her raising my eyebrow and swallowed down the slight irritation that raised in me from her stupid comment, "Oh! You know what I mean!" She whined.

I always found myself smiling when I looked at Em, her hair was a shiny jet black against her pale skin and her eyes were a deep brown, She and her family were Korean and her mum always made the best food that she would bring to school and force-feed me, but it was one of the many reasons I loved her.

That's when it hit me, what she just said.

Spat on Maria?

"Of course, I didn't. When have I ever done anything like that?"

"Aww" She murmured elbowing me in the side with a massive grin, "I was so proud of you for a second." She joked before putting her arm tight over my shoulder.

"What's there to be proud of?" I asked while we Began to walk out the school door and to the parking lot.

"Well, I thought you grew a pair and finally stood up for yourself. If I, was you, I would have punched her in her basic, bland face. Maybe make it a bit less basic." She smirked. I just smiled to myself.

I should have spat on her.

We walked out of the school together and I said goodbye to Emily while she squeezed me tightly refusing to let go.

The freezing air smacking against my face brought me back to reality, the truth was, Em wasn't here, and I may never see her again. My breath was quick and short as my lungs grew tired, the feeling was similar to when I finally got home yesterday, the spark of the frigid metal of my door handle as I took a deep, heavy, breath and braced myself, opening the door to find my mother not waiting for me.

I thought about how on that particular night, I got lucky. At least I didn't have to witness the wrath of what the Alcohol turned her into, instead, I found her passed out on her bed surrounded by wine bottles and cheap whisky. I grabbed the empty glasses and bottles leaving her room, the unpleasant odor of puke and alcohol left my senses but not my mind.

I thought of the texts I had got from Emily's friends, they believed the rumors that I had spat on Maria, no matter what I said, I remember the lump that rose in my throat as I dropped to my bed, last night I had gone to sleep with comfort that at least they were no friends of mine, but now as I swallowed down the blazing in my throat from my exhausted breaths, I wonder if I had tried harder maybe I could have befriended them, it had always twisted through my head how rude they were, but there was no making up for that now.

And lastly, as my head turned towards the men behind us, dashing with all their might, guns blazing towards us, my stomach twisted as my eyes glazed up towards the man pulling me along through all of this, he was much faster than me as he tugged me along, at least he wasn't letting me get killed because of him. But I couldn't help the rage that ignited inside of me as his dark hair flew back in the wind. Because had I of never met him. Maybe none of this would be happening, Lucas Allard, is the reason my life will never be the same.