Feeding his ego. (78)

"We have to call Leo."

Gray and Lucas both instantly look at me like I'm crazy. Like I just sentenced them to death.

"Your kidding..." Lucas grumbled.

"What other choice do we have?"

"Jess, why would he help us, he's made it very clear you mean nothing to him. If we tell him where we are, what's to stop him from arresting us?"

"He was lying," I mumble. I didn't even know if I believed myself.

"And if he wasn't?"

"That's a risk I'm willing to take."

"Sorry, hold up, who's Leo?" Johnathon chimes in.

"He's the chief of police's nephew," Gray answered before me and Lucas had a chance to. He no longer had a smirk plastered on his face. It was serious, determined. A tightness to him. We were all silent for a second, So I flipped to my contacts and found his name, a lump rose in me and I froze, was I sure I wanted to do this? 

" I don't think it's a good idea to call him, love."

"Oh yeah, I don't recall asking what you think," I growled, I know Gray just saved my ass, but I wasn't about to pretend like it was for anyone's benefit but his own.

"You're not bringing the cops here." He spat back. He was cold and brutal, his eyes frozen and icy, an unbreakable distaste for me leaking through his face. Like at that moment I really meant nothing to him, as if he was addressing a dog. My mouth went dry and my fists clenched. Just the way he looked at me infuriated me. But it still left me speechless. Maybe that's what enraged me most.

"Just remember whos holding the gun to your chest." Lucas cut in, he tried to help. But it only made it worse, like I needed him to stand up for me and when his eyes glanced over to look for a thank you from me, but I didn't give it to him I couldn't help the glare I found myself in.

But no matter how much I hated it, Gray shut up. Not another word came out of his narcissistic mouth.

So I pressed call.

Please pick up, please pick up, please pick-

"What do you want." An irritated voice greeted me.

"Leo?! Oh my god, thank god you answered. Listen, I'm at the mafia headquarters, Me and the echoes are being held here against our will. We don't even know where this place is let alone how to get out we need b-"

"Woah! Jess slow down! What the hell is going on?!" He interrupted me, but my heart jumped at it. It was like he snapped back. His voice was filled with panic and worry. The city coldness he had plastered on melted away and the lump in my throat dropped.

"Someone in the echoes betrayed us and led us into a trap, they ambushed us and we've been held hostage at this place for over a week now."

"Jess, I didn't even know you were missing. I mean you weren't at school but, I just- God I'm such an idiot. I should have checked on you-"

"We don't have time for this." I interrupted him looking over to Gray whose expression became more and more restless and tense.

Something was wrong.

"Gray, tell me where we are," I demanded snatching the gun back from Lucas and holding it to him with my free hand.

"You know the gun threatening got boring a while ago." Gray moaned.

"Wait? Gray as in second in command, Gray Achillies?" Leo gapped over the phone.

"The one and only," Gray smirked.

Well, thanks for feeding his ego, Leo.

"Gray, where are we." I hissed again digging my gun into him.

"Sorry love, I'm done playing your games, I'm not letting you bring the feds here."

That's it

Without thinking I moved to the side slightly before pushing the trigger, barely missing Gray. Lucas flinched. Johnathon jumped back. The tension in my hand begging me to pull the trigger faded away.

God damn, that felt good.

But then I realised Gray hadn't moved a muscle. Not a flinch, not a twitch. Not even a blink.

"You might be willing to die for the people you care about. But so would I." His breath was shaky and dry, he had been holding his breath. But he stepped closer anyway pushing into the gun that was now aimed at him again. He glared down at me and I glared back.

"Where underground an abandoned warehouse at the edge of New Orleans, just off the highway, you can't miss it," I smirked telling Leo over the phone, instantly Gray's eyes went wide, a beautiful look of panic spread through him. It was priceless.

Don't underestimate me.

"Hunter never lied, even though the abandoned warehouse was empty when we got there he did lead us straight into the base, it was just under our feet the whole time, plus if we ever did escape which they knew was unlikely, we would know better then to assume they would let us actually know where their base is, therefore we would dismiss the warehouse and never look back, but what better place then the one that's right in front of you."

Gray was silent. But he filled the room up with an uneasy sense of tension.

"You sure Jess?" Leo confirmed.

"Positive." I nodded, the feeling of victory pounding through me as Gray's fiery eyes glared through me, his eyes furious and mine smug. But it didn't last long.

He looked away, scowling at the floor as his jaw tightened and with that, he jolted into action, turning around and making a run for the wall behind us.

But there is no way he can escape. We all have guns.

Then it hit me, by the door was a red button, a bit like a fire alarm. But it wasn't, I realised that as he ran to it.

Panic ran through me and all I could think to do was shoot. I was a terrible shot and missed.

Just as Lucas was about to raise his gun Gray smashed the button on the wall stopping quickly with a smirk before blowing a strand of hair out of his face.

A second later The lights went dim and an alarm started screeching all around us, so loud it felt as if the ground was shaking beneath us.

"Gray what did you do?!" I scowled hanging up the phone.

He looked back at me with a charming grin.

"Wish I could stay but I really do have to get going now." He grabbed the door opening it as he stepped through a bullet shot at him barely missing his hand on his way out and bounced back onto the floor as the door shut behind him.

Lucas instantly runs past me to the door, he pulled at the handle and the door didn't open, it didn't budge. It had locked behind Gray. But that was only the back door.

The alarm still rang loudly, fogging the room around us with a screeching siren and my brain told me one thing.

Survive.

I rushed to the front door, it wasn't rusted and old it was new and modern, I knew where it would lead to but I didn't think it mattered at this point.

I tugged at it pushing down the handle and it opened quickly.

Bingo.

"Jess watch ou-" Lucas was interrupted by a bullet flying past me so fast I could taste the silver flare coming from it.

I shivered at the terror of how we would get out of this one.