Typical. (21)

He makes a humming sound in defeat and takes my phone looking at the picture intently.

"Her name is Jessica Mayble. That's all I know of her so I need you to run a background check on her." I explained taking my phone back.

"That's what I remember her from!" He suddenly shouted.

"10 years ago a man was reported missing, His name was Bruno Anglo Mayble, He was married to a woman called Amelia Mayble and at the time they had a 7-year-old kid, Jessica Mayble. The man just disappeared one night, vanished, he did leave he took none of his belongings with him not even his cell phone. After 3 months of searching for him and getting nothing I received an anonymous text, it said that he was alive and well and that he doesn't want to be found. Of course, we tried to trace it but we never found anything. After 6 years we closed the case and the mother refused to believe he was dead so instead she believed he just left. "He shook his head.

"She revived serious I Psychiatric help since she had a child but in the end, she stopped going, said she was fine and didn't need it, but a year later lost her license for driving under the influence, she used her kid as a plee in court and the judge took pity on her and just gave her community service for a couple of months. That poor family left to pick up the pieces from that man's disappearance. I still remember that kids tears, that kind of thing changes how you see things." He mumbled keeping his voice low.

"We have a bunch of files on them already, But nothing new so I will get it sorted out."

"So her dad just disappeared? Without a trace?" I questioned.

"Yep there was no sign of murder nor of him preparing to leave, no flight tickets brought and nothing was out of place, But I don't get why you would think she has anything to do with this business?" He asked putting his hand over his mouth and moustache.

"There is just something not right about her. I know she is hiding something..."

"You know or you think Leo?"

"I know, look when the echos dropped off marcel we couldn't legally get anything out of him right?"

"What's your point?"

"One of the only things he mentioned was a girl. This is the first time we have heard of a girl member of the echos when they have mentioned the group before a girl never came up. That's why I believe this girl is a relatively new member of the gang and rather conveniently this girl has started talking to Lucas Allard, This girl is the only person out of their group that has talked to them as if they are friends, Of course, He just ignored her, But I've talked to her and she isn't the obsessed stalker type, It would also make sense if he was ignoring her so as not to get her in trouble because he knows he's a suspect and he wouldn't want her to get involved. However, At the same time, You would have thought that if she was in the gang and they were too she would have been told beforehand not to talk to them outside of the business." I tried explaining the situation.

"Well, You sure took a lot from a girl talking to guy Leo. I mean we already have like 50 suspects. For this case won't it just be more confusing if we add another one? You don't even know for sure."

"I will find out more, just know she's a possible suspect and just know, I feel like we're catching up with them," I chirped with a smirk.

Then a buzz came from his phone and he pressed the speaker button on it.

"Talk," He demanded.

"Sir you have a meeting with the mother of the victim of the 311 case. " Barbs informed over the phone.

"Okay send them in in a minute please, Thank you, Barbra."He replied politely,

"THANKS, BARBS!" I yelled pushing myself closer to the phone.

Suddenly the phone hung up and I burst out in laughter.

"Stop tormenting the poor lady." Howard huffed.

"Alright, I'll see you later," I smirked before leaving the room. As I left Barbs glared at me one last time. It's so funny to see how annoyed she gets just because I shorten her name.

I mean seriously what an old lady.

I got in my car and turned on the radio pulling out of the parking lot and driving home.

I just feel bad that the geek is getting dragged into this mess. That's what criminals do, they take innocent bystanders and turn them into murderers. I just wonder what would make Lucas just aimlessly start talking to a random girl. I mean maybe I would get it if it was a popular good looking girl, not saying Jess is bad looking. I just don't know why he would take two glances at her. That's why there has to be something going on. I refuse to believe there isn't.

After what seemed like a long drive home I got back to my apartment, I lived in a neighbourhood full of massive sky scrappers that blocked the view of the sun so it was pretty hard to get any sun there, there was one skyscraper, in particular, that was right across the street from me, It was the biggest and the worst one. I got out of my car and shut the door when I heard voices coming from the parking lot for the big apartment.

They were jumping out of their cars where Lucas and his friends were being loud dicks as normal, but there was one thing that wasn't normal.

What the hell. Why is Jess with them?

Lucas had been my next-door neighbour for years, slowly as the years go on he has been letting people live in his apartments for money but, now her? And how come she didn't mention it, And how come he was ignoring her so much then but they seem like buds!

I walked up to them and when they saw me they all suddenly fell silent.

"Oh hey, Jess! I didn't know you were living here?" I asked trying to act casual.

"Oh..Uh..." She looked over to Lucas who didn't even notice, He was just glaring at me,

Typical.

"Jess you know you can speak for yourself?" I commented.

She stayed quiet for a bit longer flustered at my forwardness in calling her out.

"Yeh! of course, I can what are you talking about?" She stuttered. She was tense, trying her best to stay calm and not stutter.

"What are you doing here Thompson?"Lucas demanded trying to intimidate me.

Oh so now we are being formal huh? Well if that's how you want to play it.

"Well I just saw Jess and figured I would have another try at buying her a coffee," She coked an eyebrow at me.

"I'm a bit busy right now but maybe another time," She smiled a bit more sincerely than how she had talked to me before, it was nice to see this side of her. Granted she talked to me like that because I wasn't the politest but I don't have time to worry about feelings.

"Sweet." I smiled.

"Well, I will see you around at school," I nodded and she smiled back at me before I walked away satisfaction running through me from the look on Lucas' face.
------------------------------------------------------
Comment, vote, and read more!!!