Charity case. (33)

Jess's p.o.v:

"Hey, are you okay?" Lucas asked helping me put my rubbers and pencils in my pencil case crouching down with me.

"Yeh I'm fine,  you didn't have to do that." I sniffed.

"Maria has attitude problems. She's not worth your tears." He whispered with a gentleness in his voice.

I clustered up the last of my stuff and looked over to Lucas, He was looking over to the side of the hall. I hadn't even noticed that Leo was there but before I could even say anything Lucas got up and walked up to him.

"I think you better get going Thompson," Lucas demanded the gentleness in his voice was completely gone.

"Can I just talk to Jess?" Leo pleaded, he wasn't too tough but he also wasn't backing down. He just seemed genuine.

"You've done enough,"

Leo stepped to the side and Lucas stepped in front of him, blocking his view of me.

I didn't want to see Leo, to be honest. He was the definition of everything I hate, of everything that hates me and of everything I will never be.

"I didn't do anything!" Leo tried to defend himself trying to step to the side but Lucas wouldn't budge.

"That's exactly it Leo! You didn't! You're just as bad as your bitchy girlfriend. Now get out of here! If jess wanted to talk to you she would!" Lucas shouted. He was losing his patience. His Jaw started to clench as it did with Kirk.

Leo saw this and his mood completely changed. He was no longer sympathetic there was a look in his eyes I didn't like. It wasn't a nice side to him.

He pushed Lucas but it didn't move him at all. "What are you gonna do if I don't?!"He taunted Lucas, pushing him over and over again. 

I could see it was pissing Lucas off even though he tried to stay calm and not react.

"Leo, are you gonna start this right now? In front of her?" He says trying to keep his voice down.

"What are you scared your girlfriend will get angry at you?" Leo smiles trying to provoke Lucas.

"Grow up and get the fuck out of here," Lucas hisses, his Jaw is tight and his fists are clenching. I know that Lucas is one second away from punching Leo.

"Lucas just walk away, he's not worth it. Come on. Let's get out of here," I say as I gather up the last of my things and zip up my bag. Lucas doesn't look at me he's still glaring at Leo.

"Come on, Lucas," I mumble as I stand behind him hoping he will turn around, He's silent for another second as he unclenches his fists before turning around and nodding to me.

He ran to me, and took my backpack slinging it on his shoulder with a guilty smile.

"No, it's fine! I get it! I'd be ashamed too if I was fucking a nerd on the sidelines!" Leo shouted from behind us.

Before I could do anything Lucas dropped my bag and charged at Leo flooring him before punching him in the face over and over again.

Leo caught his fist one time and twisted him over punching him back. But it didn't last long, The thing that Leo didn't know was that Lucas was trained in this kind of stuff so he quickly gained the power again and pined Leo down on the floor punching him again.

"Lucas!" I screamed and he instantly stopped looking over at me.

"Stop please!" I begged. Before Lucas could react Leo took a cheap shot and punched him right in the face when he was looking at him. He then grabbed Lucas and threw him on the floor before standing up and stamping on his stomach with one swift blow. He went to do it again but Lucas rolled away got up and pinned him on the floor again.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!"Lucas shouted holding Leo down as he tried fighting back but Lucas had him too tight.

"STOP," Lucas demanded and after a bit Leo did and Lucas let go, getting off him.

I couldn't take it anymore. I was fed up with Lucas always having violence surround him, I understood it couldn't be helped when he was part of a gang chasing the mafia, but did he really have to bring it to school?

I turned around to see that the crowd that had formed earlier was bigger I hadn't even noticed it before but they were all chanting "Fight, fight!" 

When they saw me looking at them with tears streaming down my face they all stopped and mumbled to each other. I pushed through them all to get to the exit.

I was about to get to the exit when Emily started walking up and saw me. Her expression instantly changed. I ran to her in tears and she hugged me.

She asked me what was wrong but her voice blurred in my head.

"Jess!" Lucas shouted from the crowd trying to find me.

"I have to go em." I cried and ran off out of the door hiding in my car.

I dried my tears as I hid in the car, I felt stupid for crying, almost weak.

One minute I hold a gun to Leo the next I'm crying because he gets punched in the face, I was just so tired of the violence, I was tired of the drama.

I sniffed and felt all the empty star bucks cups against my feet. My life was a mess. But my car didn't have to be. So I picked up all the Starbucks cups, opened my car door and headed for a bin.

"Jess! Please can we talk!" A voice called out from the distance. I looked over and it was Lucas.

"Leave me alone," I mumbled coldly, putting the cups in the bin before walking back over to my car.

He ran up to me to catch me and blocked my way to the car.

"Look I'm sorry." He apologized his hazel eyes staring into my soul.

I wouldn't let him do this to me again. I wouldn't let him always be a dick and always just forget about it.

"No! Lucas it's not okay! Violence follows you are everywhere you go and I'm sick of it! I thought someone like you would have seen that he was just trying to get you to fight him so he had something against you! And like an idiot you gave it to him!" I snapped.

He didn't say anything, he opened his mouth then pressed it shut again and a pang of guilt spiked through me but I pushed it down.

"Look I'm going to move back in with my mum," I said quietly.

"What?! No, you can't! What if she-"

"Don't. Let's be honest, there is more danger being around you right now than being around her," I cut him off and I could see the hurt that flickered in his features.

"Jess, Im sorry, really I am, but I was just sticking up for you, He said that shit and-" He paused as he put his hands to his head taking a deep breath. "Look, don't punish yourself for my actions," Lucas muttered keeping his head down.

"Okay, first of all, don't act like you did that for anyone else but yourself, it was your ego he bruised not mine and where else am I supposed to go?" I hiss.

"Just, don't go. I will stay away from you if you want. But the guys will be pissed at me if I let you go."

Wow so he doesn't even want me to stay for him he wants me to stay for the people I barely know.

"I will get a job and pay you as much as I can for rent then," I mumble under my breath, my stomach twisting as my skin pricked. There was no way I was going to accept charity from him anymore.

"No, you don't have to-"

"I'm not your charity case Lucas! I appreciate the good things you've done for me I really do, but Im so sick of all the bad, because it never stops, not at school not at home this isn't some movie where people hurt people without consequence, okay Lucas? These are real people... You've -" I pause because I'm not sure I can say it, but my anger spits it out. "You've killed real people," I whisper as my eyes squeeze shut at the thought of it.

Maybe In reality the reason it upset me so much is because I wondered if Leo would be the next on his list.

Im sick to my stomach as the image blasts in my head but suddenly when I look up, the look on Lucas's face makes me sicker, his eyes were tinted with red, moist and shiny, about to spill, his skin was flushed, pale as he swallowed and his Adam's apple bobbed up and down.