What did you do, Jess? (80)

We all froze, my mind raced as the men came charging towards us with guns in their hands. They wore faces of smugness and determination.

Lucas took aim with his gun and the men began to shoot.

The problem with a hallway is there was nowhere to take cover.

But that was more of a problem for them.

Lucas started to shoot, quickly and precisely each time a man always dropped, never missing a shot. He held the gun like he knew it so well, like a childhood best friend.

But part of me wondered what would happen if he did miss a shot. If that was even a possibility in his mind.

But they were still shooting at him and you can only be so lucky for so long, a bullet flew into him piercing into his leg and he winced.

Do something Jess, or they're gonna die.

I stood in front of Lucas so they couldn't shoot him, I was still the Boss's daughter and from what I had seen they still refused to kill me. So he shot from behind my shoulder and Johnathon shot from behind him. Though he wasn't the best at far-shooting, he was better at close-up combat.

"Can it wait?" Lucas shouted over the rambling noises around us, I had told him I needed to tell him something and even with all this around us, he was still willing to hear me out.

"Not really," I shouted over the gunshots but now the men had disregarded their guns, realising it was reckless to shoot towards me and they began to advance, and though Lucas and Johnathon were shooting them down there were a lot of them, and they got closer and closer.

"You always have a poor sense of timing Jess." He laughed reloading his gun and the guys pushed closer.

Close enough for me to fight.

"You could say that." I laughed jabbing my bat into a guy's face before jabbing it into his chest and batting him into the wall. It was sharp, quick and a shiver went down me as I realised how good at this I had become.

"Better get it over and done with and tell me." He shouted and it seemed to melt with our surroundings.

Deep breath. Swing. Control your balance. A ringing that wouldn't fade out. The walls turned around us. The hallways are red. Another deep breath. A punch. A kick. A rhythm of splatters and spills. I swallow. Don't blink. Stay Alert. I duck and swing again. All of it thick with gore and noise pumping around like a human body.

"I had to do things I'm not proud of during my stay here," I shouted as I stuck one guy's leg before elbowing a guy behind me in the gut and swinging my bat over me so I knocked him in the head.

Then the other man straightened up and tried to punch me but I grabbed his arm and his leg kicking him In the side before kicking him to the floor waiting for Lucas's reply.

He didn't say anything for a bit. I thought maybe he hadn't heard me over the alarm or maybe he was just busy.

"Right," Lucas replied hesitantly before shooting a man in front of him and then shooting again but nothing came out. "Shit I'm out." He shouts and grabs a guy in front of him punching him in the face and taking his gun before shooting him with it.

"I had to get Gray to trust me so he would let his guard down," I shouted as the last man dropped to the floor.

"We have to move faster," Lucas commanded interpreting me as he grabbed my hand, his fingers gripping onto me as if he let go, he might lose me for good. Heat rushed through me, my arm tingling from his touch. I had forgotten what it felt like.

He began to run dragging me along with him with Johnathon close behind us. My breath grew short and shallow, but I had much better stamina than the last time he dragged me and we ran.

Back when this all began. I looked up at him like I did back then. His hair was messier now, he was paler, weaker. He got shot in the leg and somehow ran. No one works better on Adrilene than Lucas Allard.

I strand of my dirty blond hair hung in my face and I laughed to myself. I should have tied it up.

We stopped at a hall two-way hallway.

"Which way?" Lucas demanded.

"Left," and with that, he pulled me along again and we rushed down the hall, we were starting to go past doors now. I recognised these hallways although they were usually bright and full of men. The red tint made everything seem so much more sinister now.

"That asshole didn't do anything to you did he?" Lucas shouted as we ran.

A sharp pain pangs through me, my throat squeezing the blood to my brain.

I think about the way Gray leaned over me, the way his kisses travelled down me, the way I begged for him.

"No." I swallow. "He- uh. He didn't physically hurt me. No one was allowed to lay a hand on me." I huffed trying to catch my breath.

We stopped again, met with another bunch of ways we could go.

"Which way." Lucas huffed.

"Keep going forward," I said and we ran again.

"Did they have to make this place so damn big?" He groaned.

"You're telling me! I can feel my lungs trying to burst out of my chest," Johnathon whined.

"Baby." Lucas laughed.

"I'm out of shape! My bad I didn't go for morning Jogs in my cosy little cel-" Johnathon was interrupted by men rushing out from the next two-way hallway in front of us and I looked round to find more men running after us behind us.

"We're surrounded," I shouted.

"You're father is Angelo Bruno isn't he?" Lucas carried on like it was nothing, leading me and Johnathon straight for the guys in front of us.

Johnathon was shooting from behind us and Lucas shot with his spare hand, still refusing to let go of mine.

Now wasn't the time to go into detail about Angelo and Bruno, I would explain when we got out of this mess.

"Sort of," I mumble as I go straight into the guys and our hands separate, I swallow down my regret for losing his touch, I miss it already but I grip my bat and start swinging again.

"Well it would explain a lot," Lucas shouts as he punches a guy in the gut and then kicks him in the face knocking him to the ground.

"He wanted me to join the Mafia, told me about why he left and how much he cared about me."

"And do you believe him?"

A guy grabbed me from behind as my mind wondered and I snapped out of it in panic. I shoved my bat in between his hands and me and twisted it making him let go before turning around and sweeping him.

"I do, but that doesn't mean I agree with who he is and what he does. But look that isn't the point-"

That's when I realised we were outside the torture room, which meant they had to be close.

"They're somewhere around this hallway," I yell.

"How do you know?" Lucas cocked his eyebrow shooting another guy.

"Does it matter?" I scowl as I smash a guy in the rib cage and when he didn't go down I smashed from the other side and caught my breath.

"Should it?" Lucas asked his voice wary.

"I told you I had to do whatever I could to gain Gray's trust," I mumbled and to my disappointment, he was still close enough to hear me. But the look on his face only made the adrenaline rushing through me intensify. I swang at a guy knocking him into other men and then a hand grabbed my wrist pulling me in.

Lucas's hand slid onto my back, gripping me by the waist. His eyes locked on mine for a split second with seriousness. "What did you do, Jess?" His voice was like sandpaper, grazing me down as he turned away from me now so he could continue to shoot with his spare hand, his other one still gripping me close.

His gaze darted from man to man as he shout them down, waiting for my reply.